Converting rollerball to fountain...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I have an aquaintance who wants a fountain pen. I have a baron kit that I've made into a pen that she likes, but she wants a fountain pen.

SHe wants fine or superfine nib (if such a thing exists), and I guess I need some sort of vacuum converter. I really don't know what is required, as I don't really know much about fountain pens.

I read Lou's behind the nib series, and think that all I need is a nib and vacuum converter....whether I can use a regular Baron kit and just screw those into it is something I don't know. I don't really want to buy a fountain Baron and use it because I think a better quality nib might be a nice thing to offer....

Another question is where can I buy a single nib and vacuum thingie. I don't envision myself doing a bunch of fountain pens, but it might be nice to have an extra on hand in case i have to do this again. I found single nibs at the usual sources, but can't find single vacuum things anywhere.

Basically, I don't have a clue what I'm doing!

Andrew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Andrew,

Exotics offers all the parts you need, EXCEPT the baron nib holder. So, Jerry is correct. You will need to have the baron kit (or Navigator, or Sedona if there is a WoodCraft near you) for that one piece.

We do offer the converter in single units.

Hope this helps!

PR_Princess

Also +1 on Jerry's and Ed's advise.

But add in that the Rinehart nib section is interchangeable with the Baron/Sedona. And Andrew if you still can't find what you need close to you, order from Bill and I will be happy play relay station! :biggrin:

KenV

If the destination is to someone who knows fountainpens, think about a replacement nib from DC BluesMan or GoldenNib - I find they give more consistent service to those who are serious about fountainpen and know the difference.

JimMc7

<snip> William WoodWrite sells the baron nib holder <snip>

If I'm not mistaken, you still need the plated housing for the fountain pen nib & holder. I've never found a source for the plated housing as a separate part (including Berea) so I hope I am wrong! I think you have to buy a complete kit to get the plated housing for a Baron fountain pen.

jskeen

The only exception I know of the "buy a kit and swap" rule was the black enameled brass fp section that csusa used to sell. It had a gold ring at the front, but could be used as a direct swap for a baron rb section, as long as it was a gold or ti gold kit. Of course they don't sell them anymore. It's not really worth the extra sweat to find one unless you have somebody who wants to be able to convert from FP to RB and back and you don't want to have to completely scrap a kit.

The best option would be to get a nib, feed and insert package from Lou or Tony, and have one of the kitless wonks around here turn and thread you an ebonite FP section. That's the cadillac option, but unfortunately would probably command a rolls royce price.

zig613

<snip> William WoodWrite sells the baron nib holder <snip>

If I'm not mistaken, you still need the plated housing for the fountain pen nib & holder. I've never found a source for the plated housing as a separate part (including Berea) so I hope I am wrong! I think you have to buy a complete kit to get the plated housing for a Baron fountain pen.

You could be correct.

Wade

Top Bottom