Convert Woodfast M305 to variable speed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Eddie123

Hello.

I am considering converting a Woodfast M305 to variable speed. I already have a professional speed controller, but I am not sure how the lathe is set up.

Does anyone have the electrical schematics for this lathe, or know how it is connected ?

Is there a switch disconnecting the capacitor when it has started ?

If there is no switch, and the motor is a true 3-phase motor (After removing the cap), then it should be possible to run it with a frequency converter.

Any thoughts ?

Vegard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hotwire55

Hello.

I am considering converting a Woodfast M305 to variable speed. I already have a professional speed controller, but I am not sure how the lathe is set up.

Does anyone have the electrical schematics for this lathe, or know how it is connected ?

If there is no switch, and the motor is a true 3-phase motor (After removing the cap), then it should be possible to run it with a frequency converter.

Any thoughts ?

Vegard

A 3phase motor shouldn't have a capacitor. Capacitors in 3phase power are only used to improve power factor. Aren't needed because you get a bump every 120 degrees. You can purchase them 1phase input and 3phase output. Inverters are readily available on internet auction sites. Hope this is some help. hotwire55

Eddie123

Hello.

Any thoughts ?

Vegard

A 3phase motor shouldn't have a capacitor. Capacitors in 3phase power are only used to improve power factor. Aren't needed because you get a bump every 120 degrees. You can purchase them 1phase input and 3phase output. Inverters are readily available on internet auction sites. Hope this is some help. hotwire55

Hello.

Yes, 3-phase motors will have a capacitor, if they are fed from a single phase supply, to create a third phase.
You can use capacitors to improve power factor, but then you have at least 3 capacitors, one for each phase.

I know how motors work, or actually how they can work, but I need schematics or someones knowledge about how the motor on this particular lathe is connected, so I can rewire it from single phase to 3 phase operation.

Vegard

Eddie123

Hi Eddie 123,
Have you tried to contact Woodfast in Australia? Their email is: woodfast@tpg.com.au Graham and Steve I know reasonably well, Steve is the electronics man you would need to contact, hope this helps.
Regards
Kryn

Hi there.

Thanks for the tip, I have tried to email them before, without getting an answer back, but I will try again.

Vegard

Hi.

I am getting no reply when I email Woodfast on the email adress before, this is my experience with them from before as well.

Does anyone know emails to some technical people at Woodfast directly, maybe I can finally get some answers to my questions.

Thank you

Eddie

Top Bottom