Contrary to popular belief...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
... CA DOES stick to delrin.

I have used the delrin bushings to put some CA finish on some pens. After just a few (maybe 3-4) there was a heavy CA build-up on the bushings. I had to let them soak in acetone for a couple hours and still it was some hard work to peel the CA off.
I would like to hear some other thoughts about this issue.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

IT builds up on my bushings too. after 8-10 pens I just put them on the mandrel, tighten it up and turn just like turning a blank and clean the CA off- takes about 1 minute!

W3DRM

I simply take either the metal or delryn bushings and place them in a glass jar of acetone and let them sit for a day or two and BINGO, no more CA on them. And best of all, no work involved at all for me.

I do the same for my CA bottle tips and caps. Just let them sit in acetone over night and they come out absolutely spotless and CA free...

NOTE: Don't try this with your acrylic blanks - they will just disappear :laugh:

W3DRM

Thanks!
Guess the key word here is a day or two... :wink:

Yes, and I also give the jar a swirl or two periodically to make sure the acetone is hitting all of the surfaces.

I use a glass jar with a sealable screw-on lid, of course, so the acetone doesn't evaporate. A Mason canning style of jar would also work.

I also use a larger jar for cleaning my mandrels too. Just let them sit in the acetone over night and they come out sparkling clean.

switch62

+1 Acetone.

Throw my bushings in a sealed jar overnight, or until I'm in the shed next.
Also great when you need to unstick yourself from a blank or yourself :rolleyes::biggrin::biggrin:

jcm71

I posted on the same subject several months ago. I learned that CA, in fact, does NOT stick to delrin. It does very tightly encapsulate around it, making it devilishly difficult to remove. The acetone bath works, and I'm considering making a duplicate set, one for use and one in the bath. Try taking a pair of pliers and carefully cracking the CA. You'll see that it does come of in shells and is not sticking to the delrin.

Wingdoctor

It will build up on Delrin, but it really doesn't stick in the same sense as it does to wood or acrylic. A carbide tool will turn it off until it gets close to the Delrin and then it just shatters from the Delrin. Just turn it off, it takes 30 seconds.

JD Combs Sr

I simply take either the metal or delryn bushings and place them in a glass jar of acetone and let them sit for a day or two and BINGO, no more CA on them. And best of all, no work involved at all for me.

I do the same for my CA bottle tips and caps. Just let them sit in acetone over night and they come out absolutely spotless and CA free...

NOTE: Don't try this with your acrylic blanks - they will just disappear :laugh:
Ditto everything said here!!:) Do it with every use and it only takes overnight.

underdog

... CA DOES stick to delrin.

I have used the delrin bushings to put some CA finish on some pens. After just a few (maybe 3-4) there was a heavy CA build-up on the bushings. I had to let them soak in acetone for a couple hours and still it was some hard work to peel the CA off.
I would like to hear some other thoughts about this issue.

I've had that happen too. Just don't leave them in the acetone until it dries up. Then the Delrin will be swollen up and it won't fit in the tubes anymore...

Don't ask me how I know this. :bulgy-eyes:

Top Bottom