Continental Pen bit??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joefrog

So, I'm in Woodcraft yesterday buying a few needed items, and I decide to splurge a bit and get a nicer-than-I-usually-buy pen kit, the Continental. Looks nice, and I thought it would be a good experiment to try with the blanks I just bought from "firewhatfire."

I haven't had a chance to turn it yet, and in looking at the instruction sheet, I see that it takes some ODD bit sizes. 12.5mm and 10.5mm? What gives?? I've never turned a pen with this size! Is there an equivalent, or am I stuck buying even more bits?

Buy Continental Rollerball Pen Kit Chrome at Woodcraft.com

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrew_K99

FWIW the Continental (aka Atrax) uses the same drill bits as the Jr. Gent II, Jr. Statemen II, Jr Retro, Triton and others I believe.

If you ever intend to do any of those it is probably worth buying the right drill bits, if not you could probably get away with 'close enough'.

AK

Paul in OKC

Both of those sizes fall about smack in the middle of two fractional drill sizes. The 12.5 is .492, so on the small side you can drill 31/64 (.484) and see how close it is, or go bigger at 1/2". On the 10.5 it is .413, so low is 13/32 (.406), high is 27/64 (.422). Either way it is about .007-.008 to either side.

Xander

I made one of those just last week. Stick a caliper on the tubes and use a regular bit. No need to get the 'recommended' size bits.

triw51

Joe if you go to
icon1.gif
IAP Library - General Reference there is a section on drill bits. I use this a lot when making pens with odd drill bit recomendations. I printed it out and have it in a plastic sleeve in my shop

Carl Fisher

Definitely worth it to have a 10.5 and 12.5, you'll find a bunch of kits that call for those bits as mentioned by Andrew above.

Top Bottom