Contest Entry, Beginner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireflex8263

I entered this in the Novice category for the pen turning contest and would like to get some feedback from you all. Positive or negative. I'm still learning, Thanks

Troy

2004112332121_fireflex8263_photo2a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

I like all desk sets. And I like the natural look. Both my entries had some type of natural look. Very nice job. Remember, all entries are winners!

Daniel

Troy,
My first impression when I saw it was that I liked it. I would like ot see a larger version tough. It's hard to see the detail.
Next, You managed to get a very good picture that will show the details if it is large enough.
I have a bias for Deer antler so my opinion is a bit colored by that.
There is a consistant "Hand Made" quality to the whole piece. Pen, Stand And Base. A bit on the made due with what was on hand feel but still looks good. and creative. It does leave me with the desire to see what you could do if you had ample selection of materials though.
I appreciate the extra details in the pen considering you are working with antler. Not the easiest material to work with in the first place and you went just a bit beyond simply getting it turned.
the biggest drawback I see with it is three distinct pieces, A Pen, The stand (Antler piece) and the Base. and they don't really look like they go together. This is where I even get lost. i can't tell you exactly why. but it lends to that "Made Due effect" It also lends to the overall Handmade effect which I do like.
What I like:
the lines and formes are not Machined to the nth degree giving the piece a hand made look.
the dual use of Antler in the piece.
the use of Brushed nickle finish with the antler.
the base has a very much hand cut and finished look about it.
What is missing:
Basically a coordiantion of elements. this for the most part is due to the dark color of the base and it's contrast in shape with the natural form of the antler stand. this may have worked better for me had it been mounted in a piece of light colored wood. or even better yet stayed with the natural form in the stand by mounting the antler on a log with the bark still attached. hope that gets the idea across. They are simply ideas that help the theme and form flow. this would hopefuly help the pen stand out as the only tool altered part of the whole piece.
and finally it sure beats my entry all to heck. I didn't make one
Good luck and I hope the judges like it. I do.

Daniel

Ah Much Better,
Seeing the pen even better now, I like it all the more. I am not big on the coves and beads, My personal taste goes ,more toward inlay and laminations. But your overall form to the pen really gets me where it counts. I learned from playing music that it is very small things that make alot of difference. and the form of your pen touches that grain in me.
just the slightest difference in curve. expecially in the upper barrel. I highly recomend you keep up that quality. It is just one of those things that for me personally I like. and you have hit on it with this pen. the hand made quality of the base comes through even better with this picture and it helps the whole effect just a bit. that may even be the distressed look comeing through a bit. Now I am thinking that just a lighter wood for the base would really start bringing it together.
still the outstanding feature for me is the dual use of antler. Love it. I focus alot on that sort of thing with my displays. a slab of wood that the pen was made out of for it to lay on. things like that. and I will most likely be stealing this idea from you.
just remeber, it's the sincerest form of flattery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom