Considering buying a chuck - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I will second the vote for the Easy Wood Tools, Easy Chuck, they have just begun manufacturing it again and it is the best chuck I have ever fooled with--in fact I have a Nova Supernova and an Nova Infinity that are virtually unused that I would make you a good deal on--I'm gonna buy another Easy Chuck. Good info on the jaws here, I have just about all of them for all of my chucks.
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-12-2017, 10:33 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Don't think about a chuck, get one. Like VS it is only of those things only people who haven't used it would continue going without. The only negative to a chuck is you add weight to your spindle decreasing the weight capacity for your blank.

I sell the One Way, Nova, and Easy tool chucks along with a cheaper house branded chuck, but I am not a turning expert or woodworking expert(scary, I know). I have had them all out of the package and have turned with only the Novas.

I don't know the easy tool as well as I should. Not many are interested. I was told there is a history of the snap system wearing out, but not first hand. That may be why they were off the market for a while and the issue may be resolved with new production chucks. Maybe someone else could comment.

The Novas are solid chucks with LOTS of accessories at a reasonable price. Many hobbyist turners start with them and never look farther. I have a G3 with insert about to get another G3 that is reversible. The Novas are so dominant they are the only chuck I really know. Not all the jaws work on the G3. The Power Grip jaws, which are really nice, are not recommended for the G3. There is a chart on the back of the chuck boxes that will tell you which of their chucks are recommended with which jaws.

The serious turners I know use Oneway chucks. People selling things larger than pens for decent money, even if not making a living off it. I probably wouldn't go for a Talon over a G3, but if looking at a larger chuck I would probably look at the Oneways. The Super Nova2 I used was quite nice and can be found for about $130 though.

As someone who worked in the aerospace industry previously, I am often quite disappointed with the machining/design/precision on woodworking tools and accessories. The Nova chucks I have used have all been better made than the lathes I have had the opportunity to run them on, several minis, midis, and full size lathes of different brands;and have exceeded my requirements for woodworking.

I can see where someone who was trying to make a living turning might say the Nova wasn't good enough and neither were the brand of lathes I have had the opportunity to run. The OP was talking about a Jet 1221 and that is a lathe I am familiar with(plenty nice for my woodworking and built like a tank).

The inserts won't allow reversing, but I can run my G3 on any lathe I have access to, from a Shop Fox mini to a Nova DVR. That is probably more valuable than reversing for me.

Don't even think about any of the discount/house brand chucks. Total waste of money IMO.
JPW062 is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads