consensus on the Environ composite pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rickstef

Hi all,

I am interested in hearing the opinions of those who have turned the Environ biocomposite pen blanks.

I am planning on buying some for a project.

Thanks for your time in responding

Rick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

crap. can I make that any cleared? not worth postage....

hated the turning of them, the feel when finished...threw away the leftover blanks...

alamocdc

Unlike Jon, I actually like how they turn. And I can't tell that they finish any different from anything else. Mine have all finished as smooth and any hardwood. I just don't like having to get them from ebay, and the company wouldn't even acknowledge my query.

badger

I've been curious about these, but is it maybe a bad sign that the site listed above doesn't show any turned examples of the Environ?

badger

I got them from CSUSA, and I'm with Jon--they look, turn, and feel exactly like what they are: scrap paper which was salvaged from the landfill. They will take a finish if you have enough time and patience to apply it. Unfortunately, the final result is not worth the time and effort expended, IMHO.

redfishsc

I've never bought them because I agree with what's said here. They look like bits of paper cast in resin. I can do that myself and wouldn't make a pen out of it either way.

Chasper

They seemed to dull the tools quickly, and it takes seriously sharp to turn them. Other than that no problem. They polished up well and they finished nicely. I liked the look of the finished pen. They also sold quickly, the recycled story appeals to some.

Russianwolf

Originally posted by badger

I've been curious about these, but is it maybe a bad sign that the site listed above doesn't show any turned examples of the Environ?

badger
The first Sierra looks like one, but his pictures aren't very good.

broitblat

I've done a number of these with good results. Like other plastics, etc. you have to be careful of blowouts when drilling and need to take light cuts with sharp tools. Other than that, I think they are straightforward to work with, polish up well, and have an interesting look that I happen to like. I've done a few straight up, but I also like using environ in segmented pieces.

I've purchased Environ from CSUSA in the past and I think I also got a batch from one of our members. I've never tried the mainly pens site listed above.

-Barry

MobilMan

It is mainly used as counter top material. It's a by-product of paper & soy bean oil. According to the company. But must have something else in it. To me it turns almost like Corian. I've made a few pens from it & they turned out nice. You will get a darker finish using CA. I sand with 400 & thin CA, then go to the 12000.

GoodTurns

Barry-
Those look very nice, nothing like the Environ blanks I have bought. Mine were dark and relatively solid colors....reddish muddy, bluish muddy, greenish muddy...:D

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I think we may be seeing DIFFERENT material with the same name.

I turned it years ago and agree with the "crap" diagnosis. However, it did NOT look like Barry's when finished. AND, it was not real hard, I did not think it durable enough for a pen.

I would try some samples from the supplier of your choice and see what YOU think.

Top Bottom