Cones and mandrels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

furini

Hi all
First post here and a newbie question - my pen mandrel came second hand with my second hand lathe and I didn't think I'd get into pen turning :eek: so didn't ask too much about it...now I'm becoming hooked I'd like to know what the cones are for that came with the mandrel. There are four of them with a small taper on . . . but what are they used for?
Any help gratefully received!

Stewart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Stewart, without a photo it is difficult to picture what you are talking about, but my best guess would be bushings.

Each different pen kit requires different bushings to guide the turning process.

I hope this helps. If not, please try to post a photo of the cones.

furini

Thanks, William

I've done some more searching since posting my question and think I've identified their use. I don't have a picture but they are about half an inch wide, the first quarter inch is parallel then the rest tapers at 90 degrees - i think that they can be used to produce different barrel thicknesses - just have to use some calipers and make sure my measuring is right!

Thanks for your time.

Cheers

Stewart

george

I think that could really be the "universal" bushings. Type in the google "universal pen mandrell" in compare to found bushings. I got them when purchasing this type of mandrell, but never really used them. I still prefer the bushings made for each kit. They do not require the measuring of the diameter.

talbot

Hi Stewart,
The cones are supplied with the Rotur/Planet delux kit but Ive not yet found out exactly what they're for. I haven't used them as universal bushes as I prefer to buy the bushes for each kit.
I have however used them as spacers and to create a little extra room at the end of some blanks when sanding once the blank is down to the required depth, remove the dedicated bushes and use these instead.
regards, Bill

furini

Thanks for the further help - they are indeed the 'universal' bushings. I'll give them a try as I want to make a pen that I don't have the correct bushings for and I'm not likely to be able to get them before Christmas Day which is when the pen is for!

Cheers

Stewart

philb

I have these with my Planet mandrel.

There universal bushings, use them when you dont have the correct bushings for a diameter of blank, but to be honest ther correct bushings are much better! Unless you going mandrel-less!

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have these with my Planet mandrel.

There universal bushings, use them when you dont have the correct bushings for a diameter of blank, but to be honest ther correct bushings are much better! Unless you going mandrel-less!

The correct bushings are needed for the turning part of mandrel-less also. You just don't need a mandrel.

The bushings come off (for most people) for finishing to prevent bushings sticking and also to prevent "bushing sanding dust" during sanding.

Top Bottom