Complete list of supplies needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jroach21

I have been looking at the forum for sometime now and I have been a little overwhelmed by the information. I am in the process of building a house that has a garagae that will be used half for storage and the other half will be my wood working area. I am very new to this, most of my tools are being given to me by my dad (drill press, band saw). What I was hoping to find was a complete list of all tools to help me get started. I plan on going to Rockler and talking to the people in the store about what they sell, but I didn't want them to tell me to buy a tool, if I really don't need it. I plan on buying my tools on the internet to save money, but my local Rockler will be a good place to stop and look at the new stuff that is out. So, can anyone tell me all tools needed on the first day? I know I need a lathe, but what else?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
That is such a hard request. People have different ways of doing things, one way works for some while another works for someone else. The most used tools in my shop are the band saw and the lathe. I do all my drilling on my lathe for my pens but if I were making other things the drill press would get more use. I haven't turned on my table saw for a few years and it isn't even in my shop. I use my metal lathe as well for a few jobs. I would say to start out slow and purchase what you need as you need it. Never purchase on impulse and don't purchase just because you can. I have found that most of the tools that I purchase on impulse or just because I can don't get used enough to justify them. I also use my dremel for a lot of small jobs.

stonepecker

What do you plan on doing? With the answer to that question, that will help to anser what you are asking. Joining a local woodworking club wouldn't be a bad thing to do.....the advice is well worth your time and effort.
One thing I can tell you right now.......you can never have to big a shop.

Good luck.

walshjp17

Some problems I see with the PSI kit in the link is 1) it is out of stock and 2) the bushings for the pen kits are not listed as included (unless I missed them :rolleyes:) and 3) the lathe is listed as VS, but I did not see a variable speed knob. Note that in one place it says variable speed and in another it says multi-speed. Variable speeds may come by changing belt positions on this one.

How about putting this same kit together but starting with a different lathe.
WoodTurningz - Lathes and Chucks

I purchased my lathe from these guys and they were great to deal with. I bet they could put together the same thing for less money? You can get by for pen turning with a skew and parting tool then sandpaper and friction polish, I use the same pen press as is in the kit that you posted and I really like it but there are others and they are all good I am sure. That same site has one for 48.95 that looks great to me. I think you can come out of this for less money and have something that is just as nice if not better. Give them a call and see what they can do for you? I don't have anything to do with them other than being a customer of theirs. BTW that price includes shipping!

stonepecker

Jason, You are doing right by asking questions. Just remember to learn from others mistakes.......you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

You have some of the best information right there in your backyard. Searchout some IAP members that are local to you and ask them for their opinions. We can talk here in the forums all day......but there is nothing better then having someone talk to you face to face and if possible......show you how.

Now I can tell you that no matter how you start......once you have been bitten, you never have enough. You might be able to find a lathe on line for sale. But if you find someone locally, that is up-grading, they might be able to give you a better buy for your dollar and advice is priceless.

its_virgil

And, where will the car's live? :biggrin::biggrin:

Have you looked in the library? You may find this article helpful as well as others.
http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/Getting_started_in_pen_turning.pdf

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I have been looking at the forum for sometime now and I have been a little overwhelmed by the information. I am in the process of building a house that has a garagae that will be used half for storage and the other half will be my wood working area. So, can anyone tell me all tools needed on the first day? I know I need a lathe, but what else?

Thanks!

BSea

You don't need a pen press if you have a drill press. If you haven't been to the Library yet, I'd suggest taking a few evenings, and just read about different methods. You tube has plenty of video's. They show everything they use to make pens. Pay attention to the articles on Turning Between Centers. Even though it sounds like it may be an advanced way of making a pen, it's no harder than using a mandrel. The reason I say this is because after reading those articles, I was convinced that I'd probably wind up TBC, so why not start out that way. I've been turning over 2 years, and I never bought a pen mandrel. Not that you have to do what I did, but it's an example of what you'll learn in the Library.

Figure out what lathe you want. That will dictate what accessories to get. My short list of must haves on a lathe are morse taper 2, variable speed, and as big as you can justify. You can turn small things on a big lathe, but not the other way around. It may be pens at 1st, but you might want to do bowls later. Now you don't have to go crazy. Several of the MIDI lathes will do some respectable sized bowls and other things.

Even though I have a drill press, I drill on the lathe because I think it's more accurate. To do that, you'll need a drill chuck that fits in the tail stock. And it will have to fit your lathe. Plus you'll need either a small chuck, or a collet chuck. Frankly, I don't know how I got along without my collet chuck. I use it on every pen I make. You don't NEED it, but it makes many things easier.

A way to sharpen your tools. Unless you go with only carbide tools.

Then get one or two kits. (No More) Build those pens. You'll learn fast what you need, and what you don't.

EDIT: You beat me to it Don. I can't believe it took till post #11 for someone to suggest the Library.:rolleyes: Oh, and Nice Scuba Avatar.:good:

Last edited:

OOPS

Do you have a Woodcraft store nearby? I would start there, because the amount of information and advice you can get from the folks at Woodcraft is priceless. They oftentimes have pen turning clubs or can put you in touch with people who are in the clubs. This is where you can get plenty of help, opinions, and perhaps a deal or two when it comes to a used lathe or other tool. PLUS...it helps you determine more readily what you really need.

What you really need....this changes for all of us as we become more involved in the hobby. Those who get excited about making segmented blanks might say a table saw. Those who want to make their own acrylic blanks would say that a pressure pot is essential. Others decide to stabilize wood, and buy a vacuum pump and a setup for that. The important point is to go a step at a time, and find others who are a few steps ahead of you in the hobby. You can learn those parts of the hobby that fascinate you, and decide that other parts are not of interest to you. Plus, there are plenty of people here who will offer their opinions to help steer you as you go down the road.

I really like my press. I know some don't use them but I feel that I have much more control over pressure and everything with the press. I have tried the drill press and didn't like it. Maybe my drill press too it is not a really good one. I like feeling the parts going together and watching them. I have stopped more times than I can count when things didn't align just right and saved myself. I ruined a few kits early on using a clamp that just had too much power. I like sitting right at my assembly area and having everything right in front of me. Just the way I do it. There are always more than one way to skin a cat that is for sure.

low_48

Speaking of Woodcraft, take a class there for turning a pen. Use the tools in their shop and see what you use, and if you like them. NOTHING like hands-on experience to make the learning process easier.

Waluy

Really the way I see it the breakdown of what you need is:
1: A lathe and gouges
2: A method of drilling blanks (either a drill chuck for lathe or drill press)
3: A method to cut blanks to size (I started with a scroll saw NOT VERY ACCURATE THOUGH)
4: A way to trim blanks (barrel trimmer or sander)
5: Sandpaper (possibly micromesh as well I still haven't tried it yet myself)
6: Finish of your choice

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
How about this....I found this starter kit. When I called the vendor, they said that this kit has everthing I would need to start turning a pen. Are they right? Im not looking for a review of the actual items, more is this kit a waste of money or a good start but I will need more stuff.

Advanced Pen Making Starter Set with Turncrafter Commander 12" Variable Speed Midi Lathe at Penn State Industries
It's over priced but it does have about everything you need. You can build your own starter set for less money and probably better materials right here at IAP.

For instance:
You can get the 10 in VS PSI lathe for almost $65 less if you buy it from Amazon.com because they give free shipping that PSI charges $50.00 for and the lathe is $14.00 less.

pauly99

Word of warning to not go too cheap or you may pay the price further down the road.

I initially picked up a Harbor Freight lathe (Item #65345) and I have no complaints with the lathe itself. You manually change the speed of the lathe by placing the bands on different settings. Thumbs up.

I picked up a face shield from Woodcraft. Definite thumbs up because of the next statement.

I picked up a drill chuck (to drill my blanks on the lathe) from Harbor Freight as well. Thumbs down. It did not seat well in the lathe, was perhaps an inch too long and fired across the room and right into the windshield of my wife's car. Ugh.

Then bought a precision drill chuck from a gentleman in Georgia. Thumbs up.

I picked up a punch set from Harbor Freight. Have only used it once but I give it a thumbs up.

I picked up a HSS set of gouges, skews, etc... from Harbor Freight. Thumbs up but you do need to constantly sharpen these tools.

My buddy at Woodcraft is trying to talk me into getting some carbide tools where I wouldn't have to use the grinder any longer.

I picked up a box of sandpaper with different grits from Woodcraft. Thumbs up.
CA glue from Woodcraft. Thumbs up.

I picked up a water bench grinder from Grizzly. I like it but needed to also get a Tormek jig in order to adequately use the bench grinder to sharpen gouges and skews. The Grizzly came a little out of round but the Tormek jig helps to properly put the skew or gouge at the right angle when sharpening.

After turning for only a few months (with winter getting in the way), I've decided to go with TBC and give that a whirl. Bought a precision live and dead center locally and just ordered some bushings from Lazerlinez.

Last edited:

betwisted

I purchased the 12 turncrafter VS lathe from PSI and like it better than the HF lathe I initially bought for this hobby. That being said, I think the HF lathe is a REALLY good deal for the money. The one I got was the 12 x 33 with the reeves drive. I bought a rockler starter kit which had the mandrel, bushings, 3 slimline kits and 3 wooden blanks, and some CA glue. I think all that could have been purchased elsewhere for less $ than the completed kit. I use an irwin speed clamp for assembly. I also use the HF chisels which were like 70 bucks for the entire set, but I only really use the 3/4 and 1" skews, and the roughing gouge. With the chisels you need a reliable way to keep them sharp. I started this hobby 4 month ago and have spent like $2k already on tools, kits, blanks, blank making materials. I already had a table saw, miter saw, and drill press for processing blanks. Well, I hope that helped. Joe

It is funny how we can get so deep into this hobby. We hem and haw about the price of the lathe then purchase 3 or 4 time the cost of the lathe in other things. I started out with a shopsmith mark V and then switched to a lathe around November of last year. I don't regret the switch but that mark V was a nice unit too.

Top Bottom