Comparing two lathe kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

xmaddchillx

Ok, I finally want to get into turning. I am looking at one of these combo's. If I am going to focus on pens and fishing lures is a 1/4 hp sufficient?

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLPLUSXX.html

or

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLVSXX.html

Any input is appreciated!

Also, anything I should get initially besides what comes in a kit? I guess sand paper/MM?

5pack of Slimline Pens
5pack of slimline Pencils
7mm Barell Trimmer
7mm drill bit
Pre-Drilled EZ wood blanks - enough to make 10 kits
Mid cure epoxy glue to glue tubes into your blanks
30ml of Shellawax polish
3 pc Carbon Steel Pen making Chisel Set
#2 MT Pen Mandrel
Instructional Pen making DVD

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I would get the second one for no other reason than the MT2 shanks. Much more versatile - more options available for it!

Last edited:

marcruby

At 1/4hp you're not focusing, you're committing. The little lathe is quite limited. It also uses a #1 mt headstock, which means that other thing you might buy for it will need to be replaced.

The larger PSI lathe offers you some opportunity to experiment and will preserve the value of any accessories you buy on the way.

I don't like any PSI lathe, but the larger one you've identified is well worth the addtional $75.

Marc

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Hmm ok I have no idea about the shanks, could you explain? Gotta learn somehow lol

The "shank" is the Morse Taper. Most lathes use a Morse Taper 2 so there are more accessories made in MT2 than for the smaller MT1.

Morse Taper is the sizing system for the tapered "shanks" that fit into the head stock and tail stock.

I hope this helps.

kirkfranks

I have the smaller package you listed.
It has served me "OK well" for 3 years. I suggest you go with the larger lathe. The #1 Morse taper is OK, but as stated above most tools take #2 and if you ever get another lathe you would need all new accesories. The fit and finish is not up to par. For that matter I would recommend you look at the Jet lathes. They seem to be better made.

The other stuff that comes in the package is OK, but is not all that.
All the kits are just 24K gold finish. The rosewood blanks are all only 1/2 length of a pen so the grain won't match on the pen.
The pen mandrel will work good, but if you want to turn some of the Berea pens that take a "B" mandrel you will need another one also.

To your second question yes 1/4 is enough for pens. I have tried a small bowl and it was a challenge for the motor. Bottle stoppers are OK but you have to take light cuts...

xmaddchillx

Hmm ok, I mean this is just to get me started. I have access to tons of maple, cherry, and sapele at work that I will begin to practice on. Not really too worried about assembling great pens yet since I never used a lathe in my life! Just want to get the principle of getting blanks down to the right size first. :)

Top Bottom