Compare the Baron to the Jr. Gent.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartstar

I hope this is not a politically charged question, or perhaps already covered at great length by previous posts, but I how does the Baron compare to the Jr Gent? I've already invested in the tooling for the Jr Gent II/Jr Statesman II and was wondering if it was also worth getting the required tooling for the Baron. It does seem that folks gravitate to one or the other. Not sure if its because of preferences towards one supplier or another, or if one is actually nicer/better for the money than the other.

Thanks
Bart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

If you do a search you will find a ton of info.

Here is my take....I prefer the Jr Gents over Baron. The refill (Schmidt vs Hauser) is much better. The faceted tip of Baron is a win or loose feature...to me it is a detriment. With Jr Gent II, I think the gap even became bigger.

The strongest selling point of Baron is the price and plating selection.

Over all ...both are extremely well made and good value kits.

alamocdc

IIRC the tubes are the same size. However when I compare my Jr with a Baron, the Jr is just a tad larger (diameter). Like Dario said, you'll get more plating options with a Baron, but the faceted nib assembly is a no go for some people.

Rudy Vey

The big advantage of the Baron over the Gent Jr is that it is available in a wide variety of platings. The Titaniumgold coating of the Gent looks to me a bit like brass, whereas the Baron looks like Gold. The Gent Jr had a lot of problems with the threads. Some of my customers like the hexagonal section of the Baron, some not. I do like it. If I remember correctly, the first Gents had a similar section. The refill is no issue, refills can be changed. There was a group buy some time ago for Schmidt refills and the price was only $0.35 (IIRC). I had good and bad refills from both makers. In principle the two pens look pretty much the same, same tubes, the Gent is slightly tapered in the body, the Baron in straight, it just comes down to plating choice.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Just for accuracy's sake, the new version of the Jr. Gentleman (and Jr. Statesman) uses slightly larger tubes than the Baron. While the hexagonal nib holder for the Baron may be a negative for some, it is a distinctive feature which gives the pen an entirely different look.

wayneis

First of all I think from what I have seen many of us give people a choise between the two. Some like the Baron and some the Jr. Gentleman Personannl I like the faceted nib on the Baron but I also like the Jr. G. As far as tooling all you are talking about is a five dollar set of bushings and you are set to go.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom