Common Bushing reference

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

foneman

Is there an online reference to see which bushings are the same, without having to duplicate purchases of bushings to see what is the same?

For example, are all cigars the same size so one set of cigar bushings is needed for any of the cigars from various sellers?
Are all slimlines the same?
Are Sierra's, Areo's, and Pacifica's the same?
etc.....

Thanks in advance for any advice you could provide!
John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

Unfortunately they aren't all the same sizes. Sometimes it is only a minor difference, but if you turn using just bushings it can make a big difference. Using calipers gives you the best sizing for any pen kit

sbell111

We use the same bushings for all slimlines, all cigars, and all Wall Street II/Sierra/etc no matter where we buy the kits. We have found no noticible differences in the final product.

jkeithrussell

Ditto.

I've also found that, for me, I'm more likely to over turn a piece if I take it off the bushings and try to turn it or sand it to final size between centers using calipers. There is also variation in the measurement depending on where you take your measurement from the calipers. Just check the bushings from time to time to make sure they haven't been sanded down.

We use the same bushings for all slimlines, all cigars, and all Wall Street II/Sierra/etc no matter where we buy the kits. We have found no noticible differences in the final product.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Ditto.

I've also found that, for me, I'm more likely to over turn a piece if I take it off the bushings and try to turn it or sand it to final size between centers using calipers. There is also variation in the measurement depending on where you take your measurement from the calipers. Just check the bushings from time to time to make sure they haven't been sanded down.

The problem with this is you will eventually find that the nib, center band or clip end do not match smoothly to the level of the bushings. There is often a variance there and then the finished blank will have a ridge at the nib, CB or clip end.

I alway measure nib, cb and clip of EACH pen that I work on and turn to that. I didn't at first, but the good fellows on here instilled in me the importance of good work habits which would result in better made pens.

Winchester, Hampshire. SO22 5LB, United Kingdom.
The problem with this is you will eventually find that the nib, center band or clip end do not match smoothly to the level of the bushings. There is often a variance there and then the finished blank will have a ridge at the nib, CB or clip end.

I alway measure nib, cb and clip of EACH pen that I work on and turn to that. I didn't at first, but the good fellows on here instilled in me the importance of good work habits which would result in better made pens.

I couldn't agree more with Hank. Bushings are NOT the same from different manufacturers and bushings DO get worn with sanding, so always rely on calipers for an accurate fit.:)
Ian

sbell111

I couldn't agree more with Hank. Bushings are NOT the same from different manufacturers and bushings DO get worn with sanding, so always rely on calipers for an accurate fit.:)
Ian

No one is suggesting that bushings don't get sanded down and need occasional replacement. However, I have not found sufficient variety in the pen kits that I mentioned in my previous post to require buying different bushings for these kits purchased from different suppliers. Other kits may require this, but I have not experienced the need for the kits that I listed.

jkeithrussell

I do not doubt that people who measure with calipers for every pen get good results. For me, the bushings are more reliable. For example, if you measure the center band adapter on a cigar ultra kit, the measurement that you get is larger than the corresponding bushing's diameter. The reason for this, I think, is that the adapter has a round shape. So are you measuring at the top, bottom, or middle of the round adapter? I don't know, but I use the bushings and the fit has, so far, been very precise every time. There are other examples, but the point is the same. Sometimes the measurement with the calipers is harder (at least for me) to do in a reliable way than simply counting on the bushings. Another issue is the shape of the pen near the nib, cb, and cap. If you are using B2B, then your point of measurement is straight and you can rely on your measurement. If not, you can take 3 or 4 measurements on a sloped surface and get 3 or 4 different results.

I've made perhaps 40 pens, so my experience base is not that great. On the last 25 or so, I've not had even the slightest trouble with fit. I do check the bushings to see if they've worn down, but so far none has shown any signs of wear.

More than likely I just don't have enough experience working with the calipers. I've worked hard to get some level of competence with the bushings and don't feel like starting over on a learning curve with calipers only.

JimB

I have the same problems with calibers as Keith mentions. When I measure a slightly shaped pen I get slightly different measurements each time. I'm assuming its jsut because I am not very good with the calibers and get them in a slightly different spot each time I use them.

I find, for me, the best is to use calibers to measure my bushings to ensure they have not been sanded down to an unacceptable size.

I can certainly see that the calibers would be more accurate if I was better at using them.

igran7

For example, are all cigars the same size so one set of cigar bushings is needed for any of the cigars from various sellers?
Are all slimlines the same?
Are Sierra's, Areo's, and Pacifica's the same?
etc.....

I have found that there is no significant difference in diameter size between the different manufacturers. BTW the Sierra and Pacificia use the same bushings, but the Aero is different all together and uses the same bushings as the Original Elegant Beauty from Dayacom.

Top Bottom