Is this common?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Phillips

I just finished a Jr. Gent, and the drilling was interesting...

The upper barrel had to be drilled at 1/2" ... that's 1/32" over what the plans call for, and the lower barrel was drilled 1/64" larger than what the plans call for, and even then it was really tight but I was afraid to go to the next bit for fear of a loose brass tube...

Y'all run into this very often?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodpens

Oh, you read the directions. That's where you went wrong. [;)]

I've been having more problem with newer kits than I had in the past. Now, I always put the tube against the drill bit to make sure I have got it right. Some recommended sizes leave me scratching my head.

airrat

Marc,
There has been a lot of discussions on that issue last couple months. Hardness of the wood has been one answer on issues like that.

I know CSUSA changed to a 12.5mm bit last year, I have yet used it due to even with the 1/2 bit my tubes are snug.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by airrat
<br />Marc,
There has been a lot of discussions on that issue last couple months. Hardness of the wood has been one answer on issues like that.

I know CSUSA changed to a 12.5mm bit last year, I have yet used it due to even with the 1/2 bit my tubes are snug.

The wood hardness only became an 'issue' when CS was taken to task for reccomending an oversize drill bit. Hollow excuse really.

Randy_

I, too, wondered if you had the correct tubes. But, of course, if the tubes were wrong, you would haver trouble with the hardware and the bushings fitting properly.

It just so happens that I have information in my <u>Pen Reference Chart</u> for that kit. The information I have been given indicates that the lower tube is 0.40" in diameter and the upper barrel is 0.481" in diameter. The current CSUSA recommendation for drilling the upper blank is to use a 12.5mm bit which is 0.491" in diameter and 0.011" larger than the tube. A 1/2" bit would be 0.019" oversize and probably a little too loose for most people to be comfortable with.

The CSUSA recommended bit for drilling the lower tube is a 27/64" bit which is 0.4219" in diameter and 0.219" over the tube diameter and again looser than most folks would be comfortable with. This problem has been discussed before and recommendations from folks who have built these kits is to use a 13/32" bit which is 0.4063" in diameter and 0.0063" over the tube size.

I don't have a lot of data accumulated yet; but it seems like most drill bit recommendations range from 0.006" over to 0.011" over. If you have a caliper, the thing to do is to measure your tubes and then measure your drill bits. Failing that, you can drill holes in scrap wood and find the bit that best fits the tube. One thing you should be aware of is that drill bits may not always drill holes of the diameter marked on the bit. There are many reasons that this is possible; but that discussion is beyond the scope of this message.

To specifically answer your question, yes there are problems with the bit recommendations for the Jr. Gent kit. As mentioned in an earlier post, there have been a number of instances, recently, of bit recommendations from manufacturers that were less than ideal for other kits as well.

To repeat an earlier comment, it is always a good idea to check with a caliper or test hole or both to save yourself any grief. You never know when you are going to get a bad tube, bushing, piece of hardware or drill bit. taking a few seconds to check everything in advance could save you the annoyance of spending time on a pen and finding out after the fact that there is a problem.

Mikey

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />
<br />Marc,

The wood hardness only became an 'issue' when CS was taken to task for reccomending an oversize drill bit. Hollow excuse really.

Not a hollow excuse. i do believe this issue was debated at length with some claiming Horse S... However, when people searched, they indeed found out that material type did make a difference and that even drill bit from thesame manufacturer had varying tolerances. Also, I've never seen a drill press that was accurate to .0000, so you need to factor in the runout of the drill press as well.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Mikey
<br />
Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />
<br />Marc,

Not a hollow excuse. i do believe this issue was debated at length with some claiming Horse S... However, when people searched, they indeed found out that material type did make a difference and that even drill bit from thesame manufacturer had varying tolerances. Also, I've never seen a drill press that was accurate to .0000, so you need to factor in the runout of the drill press as well.

As I recall, I posted some information from experts. The hardness issue does make a difference, to something like five decimal points. Not worth discussion. CS used this excuse only for this pen style. Apparently hardness is not an issue with the styles where they got the drill bit size correct. Their company president has been "studying" this matter for quite some time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom