Commissioned Sale Gloat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

You don't like to, but sometimes you just have to. I picked up a commissioned sale today for 8 Jr. Statesman Rollerballs in Amboyna Burl and 8 Jr. Gentlemen's Ballpoints in blue/gold dyed BEB (I called them Ladies' Choice). It was a medical clinic with 8 doctors about to have an anniversary. The big Kahuna bought one for each physician and one for each physician assistant. Now I have to make and deliver 16 quality pens. Good problem to have!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Way to score Gary [:D] Nothing like getting an order to make quality pens using quality materials. Just think, when those 16 people show just two of their friends, WOW, that;s 32 more orders....[:D]

I sold my Sunburst Statesmen today and that felt good. [:p]

Anthony

woodpens

Congrats, Gary! I love orders like that. My first order of the year was very similar. The owner of a consulting company ordered two each of the Jr Gentleman and Jr Statesman rollerball & fountain pens in both finishes (16 pens). They are to be made in the wood of my choice which are almost all BB eye candy. He also ordered 6 Perfect Fit Convertible ballpoint pens in Afzelia Xylay, Afzelia Burl and BOW. He ordered them on new years day. Talk about a good omen! [:D]

esheffield

So, how do you guys make your contacts? Do actively seek out and market to these people, simply word of mouth, what? I'm not quite to the point of selling anything yet, but hope to reach that point soon. I really need to find a way to at least break even in this hobby. A little profit would be even better. Tried some around Christmas with people at work (all 5 of them) without a nibble. Lived in this area for about 2 1/2 years but don't really know anybody outside of work. On the other hand I live just a few minutes from 2 universities - Virginia Tech and Radford. So may be some opportunity there. And I do work in a rather large office park with lots of other small companies and a regional med school. I just don't who or how to approach them when the time comes.

Gary

Eddie, in my real job I'm a professional salesman, so prospecting for clients is what I do for a living. This doctor's office was already a client of mine. I'm out talking to people every day, so I get plenty of opportunities to show people my pens. I carry two of the zipper leather cases with about 50 pens in them to show people when the opportunity arises.

Fred in NC

Eddie, sellling at the job location works for some people and not for others. Larger workplaces are much better.

Other than at shows, I no longer try to sell pens. I just make sure that they are seen. I say something like "Look what I made" and let them ask questions. I do mention that I have sold quite a few of them.

woodpens

Originally posted by esheffield
<br />So, how do you guys make your contacts? Do actively seek out and market to these people, simply word of mouth, what?
I am strictly a website guy myself. I sell more pens to customers in Greece than I do my own state. I just paid my quarterly sales tax on local sales, and there were only four taxable sales out of 138 orders. I like it that way. [:)]

btboone

Jim, I noticed that you have good Google placement. That never hurts. I sell a lot of rings to Canada and England, but not so much in other countries. I used to sell my bike parts all over the world before the internet came along (for me anyway.) I think we were in something like 56 countries. I can see where nice pens would do well overseas now when the dollar is so low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom