Commercial Redwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tipusnr

I have the opportunity to get straight-grained redwood from time to time as cut-off ends. I have friends that work in the industry which produces the scrap and I thought I would make pens for them with it.

It is a very soft wood and I got it turned to a traditional slimline and I got it sanded but the power finishes expanded the wood and peeled it right off of the tube.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can use the wood for pens?

timdaleiden

I never turned any redwood, but it may be possible to stabilize it. It may be possible to have it professionally stabilized, which is expensive. You might try a vacuum method with poly, like the article found on the front page. I have not tried that for anything yet. A simple option might be to keep adding thin CA as you get near your final diameter. I am not sure I have seen any redwood pens. http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/index.htm does carry a redwood burl pen blank that has been stabilized.

Scott

Hey Bill!

I have turned a couple of pens out of redwood. It is soft, and relatively bland for a pen. As Tim mentioned it can be stabilized but I'm not sure it would be worth it unless you want to try a home stabilizing method.

Instead, because it is soft, I would stick with pen styles that leave more wood on the pen than the slimline. Styles like the cigar pen would be a good choice. Use sharp tools. Dose it with CA as you near completion, which will toughen it up. Sand carefully, and maybe consider not using friction finishes. Try lacquer, or even good old CA.

Good Luck! This sounds like a fun project!

Scott.

Daniel

I would at least coat it with CA as you reach the final shape. add more as you finish if needed. adn use as thin a CA as you can so it will really soak in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom