Commercial Conversions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tipusnr

I have also posted this on Yahoo Penturner's Group and the Woodcrafter (STEEBAR)website so if you're reading this multiple times let me apologize in advance but I wanted to get as much input as possible.

I noticed last night in looking through the files section of Yahoo that someone had converted a DR Grip pen by remaking the lower barrel out of wood. This is something that I have been considering as I get a few demo and otherwise free pens given to me every year whose only fault is not being made of wood.

Has anyone else tried this and with which pens? I am interested in ideas to "salvage" parts from commercial pens. I realize that some of the parts may be too cheaply made for high end pens but might be good enough for "giveaway" or "novelty" pens. For an example, I have been looking at one of the old clear barrelled BICs (remember the ones we used to shoot spitballs with) and thinking of somehow mounting the filler in a desk pen using either a rubber collar glued to the filler or a rubber gasket mounted in the wood to hold the filler in place and still allow it to be replaced when empty.

Of course the easy answer is spindle turning the outside shape, drilling the center, and gluing the insert in. Using pine it would be a nice one-time use pen but I hope to find better ideas.[:0]

This might also be an idea for others who can't easily get pen kits. (Though with the internet vendors out there - the only real problem is shipping time.)[B)]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick Prevett

Fred Holder (of magazine fame) has done the bic update. I've followed it and made some pretty nice pens from his ideas.

Here's the link:

www.fholder.com/Woodturning/pens.htm

rick

txbob

Hi Bill,
Where did you find the picture of the Dr. Grip pen? I'd like to see it, to know if it's mine.

I posted message #447 on 1/9/2000 to Yahoo penturners that I had done a Dr. Grip. I don't remember seeing anyone copy it, so I wonder if it's mine? The wooden part was bocote, and it looked good against the black plastic of the pen. Unfortunately somehow over the years the pen has disappeared, so I can't post a new picture of it.

It drew a lot of nice comments, and was very comfortable for me to use. Let me know if you make one, I'd like to see a picture.

Keep turning,
Bob S.

tipusnr

For Fred (Rick):

Thanks. I think I will try the BIC update but will see if I can find a less permanent way to hold the filler in so I can reuse the wood casing. Those are nice looking pens.

For txbob:

Don't remember the exact filename (or folder for that matter) but it was in the file section of the penturners yahoo group. I will try to retrace my steps when I get time and will e-mail the exact location if I find it again.

txbob

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />For Fred (Rick):

Thanks. I think I will try the BIC update but will see if I can find a less permanent way to hold the filler in so I can reuse the wood casing. Those are nice looking pens.

For txbob:

Don't remember the exact filename (or folder for that matter) but it was in the file section of the penturners yahoo group. I will try to retrace my steps when I get time and will e-mail the exact location if I find it again.

Bill,
I've done at least 50 Bic pens and never glued in the filler. Usually it's a tight slip fit. If not I wrap a 1/8" wide strip of paper around the filler to make it tight. If I do the work to make the pen I want it to be useable long enough to need a refill.
Bob S.

daledut

Bill,
Did you see my reply on the Yahoo group and the link to instructions for the Bic soft feel conversion.
I too have done the bic stick converion and just press fit the refill.

Links to the pen for my daughter's wedding sign-in
http://www.turtlewoodworks.com/pmggallery/dutridged/dutridged30.jpg
http://www.turtlewoodworks.com/pmggallery/dutridgedgal2.htm

Link to the Bic soft feel
http://www.joyfulnoisemusic.com/pen/pen_making.html

tipusnr

Sweet! [8D] Nice instructions. Off and on I have been taking apart cheap pens all day trying to figure out which pieces could be replaced with wood.

tipusnr

TxBob,

Can't remember where I found it but I saved it for future reference. Here is the picture.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
200452621612_Pens5TxBob.jpg
<br /> 32.7&nbsp;KB

txbob

Bill,
Thanks. All four of those pens are mine. The top is walnut Dymondwood with chrome, the second is grey/black Dymondwood, the bottome is red oak. I think I sold all but the Dr. Grip, and the wood on it is bocote.

Dale, I bought a dozen Bic Soft Feel pens today. Gonna try to copy your idea. I'm thinking of just drilling a hole in the wood to match the hole in the plastic, and not using the plastic. Every tried that? Think the wood will be strong enough without the plastic inside it?

Keep on turning,
Bob S.

daledut

Bob,
I tried the hole in the wood a dozen different ways. I never got a hole the right size. It was either too big or the wood split when I tried to press the pieces in. I was trying for a refillable pen. If you want it to be a throw away, you can glue the pieces in.
I finally gave up and used the tube that was already the proper I.D.

Let me know how yoursa turn out.

txbob

Dale,
Pretty much the same as yours. No drill bit the right size. I think it really needs a taper from .270 down to .260. So, I'll use the plastic tube like you did. I was hoping to save the gluing step.

Thanks for the idea,[:)]
Bob S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom