Comfort Pen Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StanBrown

I was assembling a Comfort Pen kit today. I had the rubber gripper on the exposed length of tube, all good so far. I was about to press the tip into the end of the tube when I noticed it just slipped into place with no pressing necessary. It was not really loose, just did not fit tight enough to stay in place. The tube did not appear to be distorted or enlarged (to the naked eye). I did not want to waste the work and materials so I put a very tiny drop of CA on the insertion portion of the tip and then pressed it in place by hand. It seems to be holding so far.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? If so, what was your solution? If not, what do you think I did wrong?

Thanks in advance for comments and suggestions.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hi Stan,
That is not an unusual problem, especially with 7mm tubes. Yes, use an adhesive, no I would not suggest CA (even though I did nearly EVERYTHING with CA). The CA can put a white haze on your plated pieces--it usually wipes off, but better to use Loctite red or blue--they don't screw up your plating.

Even if the part fits tightly, a 7mm tube just does not stand up to wear well. I had dozens of 7mm pens returned because the clip "spins". Obviously, the top insert was coming loose. In later years, I used loctite on many parts--I'd rather build the pen so it won't have to be "knocked apart". Others will differ with this opinion--choose your own best alternatives!!

Ed Brown(probably NOT "kin"):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

StanBrown

We might or might not be kin, but you know in the beginning God named everybody Brown. Whenever they sinned he changed their name.

Hi Stan,
That is not an unusual problem, especially with 7mm tubes. Yes, use an adhesive, no I would not suggest CA (even though I did nearly EVERYTHING with CA). The CA can put a white haze on your plated pieces--it usually wipes off, but better to use Loctite red or blue--they don't screw up your plating.

Even if the part fits tightly, a 7mm tube just does not stand up to wear well. I had dozens of 7mm pens returned because the clip "spins". Obviously, the top insert was coming loose. In later years, I used loctite on many parts--I'd rather build the pen so it won't have to be "knocked apart". Others will differ with this opinion--choose your own best alternatives!!

Ed Brown(probably NOT "kin"):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom