Comfort Pen Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jmpugsley

Why do the instructions say to turn off part of the pen blank after turning, instead of just gluing a shorter blank on to start with? Seems to me that the tube is soft brass and it would be easy to damage it with turning part of the blank off.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rudya7

You can either turn down the blank, leave it long and not use the rubber grip, or just start with a shortened blank, I've tried them all and they all work equally well. The brass tube needs to be cleaned up of glue either way to make sure the rubber grip slides over it easily. The shoulder of the wood also needs to be turned down neatly so there is no gap with the grip. Unless you are really aggressive the brass tube shouldn't get damaged by just turning the wood off and cleaning up the glue.

mikeschn

I would ignore that part, and throw the rubber grip in the trash. The pens are so much nicer without that soft grip.

Mike...

Why do the instructions say to turn off part of the pen blank after turning, instead of just gluing a shorter blank on to start with? Seems to me that the tube is soft brass and it would be easy to damage it with turning part of the blank off.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The rubber grip is a magnet for dirt and "goo". Without the grip, the pen is comfortable and will stay good looking much longer!!

One reason they say to turn off the wood is to be certain it is square, where it meets the rubber piece.

Last edited:

jmpugsley

Thank you for the comments. I think I will take the advice and throw out the grips. Now that I think about it, i don't recall seeing and comfort grip pens at shows or on the web.

mecompco

Same here--I've had a few requests for them. Usually, though, I prefer them w/o the grip. The grip is a good way to save a pen if one manages to blow out an end.

Regards,
Michael

WriteON

You can either turn down the blank, leave it long and not use the rubber grip, or just start with a shortened blank, I've tried them all and they all work equally well. The brass tube needs to be cleaned up of glue either way to make sure the rubber grip slides over it easily. The shoulder of the wood also needs to be turned down neatly so there is no gap with the grip. Unless you are really aggressive the brass tube shouldn't get damaged by just turning the wood off and cleaning up the glue.

Agreed. Learn to use the parting tools. Gently remove recommended amount of blank. Clean tube....test fit rubber grip. Opinions vary. I made both. I like both. Got a lot of positive feed back on both. Try a few and make your own decisions.

Top Bottom