Comfort pen problem,looking for some advise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

Hi All,

I have the problem that on the few comfort pens I have made,the rubber cushion part rotates on the brass tube.I have to fix one that I gave as a gift,and another one I just made.

I'm hoping that someone here can tell me how the best way to repair it.Will CA stick to rubber?

Thanks for any tips!

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
It should. You could also glue the rubber to where it meets the blank.

I normally toss the rubber grip, but in the few I had - I didn't see that issue, so I haven't actually done this and YMMV.

nava1uni

It sounds like you might have cut the area for the rubber grip a bit too long. If it is the correct size the grip is held in place by pressure from between the nib and the top of the cut area. If you use glue you should spread it evenly so that there are no bumps underneath the rubber grip because they will be felt by the finger tips and make writing uncomfortable.

PenMan1

CA should wok just fine.

Not to be disagreeable, I just make a big ole mess with CA on rubber. I spend more time trying to get the CA off of the silicone "comfort sleeve".

When I've had to glue them, I've had good success with gel contact cement.

Just another way that has worked for me.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
turning too far

I think you must be removing brass when taking off the wood for the grip. The grip should fit tight on the brass and be hard to turn even if you want to turn it. In the future back off a little with the parting tool when stripping the wood for the grip. Glue should work but make sure you get it under the rubber.

ossaguy

Thanks for all the tips! I tried the CA glue and it seems to have done it.The 1st one I redid I took it apart,which was the hard way.The 2nd one,I was able to roll the silicone grip back on itself,apply the glue,then unravel it back into place.That worked way better than taking it apart and sliding it over the glued tube,since some ozzed out that way.

I hope the CA holds up,I didn't read about the contact cement tip til I got home.I'd hate to have to redo it again.

Like what was mentioned above,I can see where I have gone in too far with the parting tool so its brass is skinnier than it should be.Next time I'll try to get it right!

Thanks again,
Steve

Top Bottom