Comfort pen oops

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I turned a comfort pen and after putting it together, I found that the comfort squishy part did not fit too well at the cut away to the tube. I started to take things apart and was going to turn the blank down a bit more to make the fit better. Well, long story short, I have a broken the tube even with the turned part and now have a 1 inch tube in a 1 inch blank more or less. My question is can I remove the short tube from the short blank. I glued the tube in with 5 minute HF epoxy. The blank is kirinite. Sorry about no pictures but I have not taken the time to learn the picture upload. Thank you for your info.

keepanionme14

Whenever an oops happens for me and I try and salvage the tube, I just put it back on the lathe and turn the material off.

If you're trying to salvage the material and the tubes, I think I'd try heat on the tube hoping to loosen the epoxy.

SteveJ

If you are concerned that heating the blank will melt it, try this:

Take a 1/4 inch tube and sand 3 thousands off of it so that it will fit inside a 7mm tube (which has a ID of .247) After measuring to make sure you don't impede the placement of the transmission, glue that tube inside the short tube with the blank and glue another length of tube to that exposed splice. Then cut the new tube to length. I've done that with a Pentel conversion when I didn't have a long piece of 7mm tube.

Good luck!

If you are concerned that heating the blank will melt it, try this:

Take a 1/4 inch tube and sand 3 thousands off of it so that it will fit inside a 7mm tube (which has a ID of .247) After measuring to make sure you don't impede the placement of the transmission, glue that tube inside the short tube with the blank and glue another length of tube to that exposed splice. Then cut the new tube to length. I've done that with a Pentel conversion when I didn't have a long piece of 7mm tube.

Good luck!

I like this style of repair. I grew up on a farm here in west Texas. If you broke down plowing and was on the bottom turn row, to keep from walking almost 3/4 mile back to the house, you learned to patch very well. Turn row patching some of the best there is!!! Thanks for your helping reply!

Top Bottom