Combining acrylics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bneff

Last night I was preparing a bunch of acrylic/polyresin (you know the non-wood) blanks for turning. I drilled a few with the 3/8" bit for the larger pens & then chucked up a blank (one of the Cav's pink uni blanks) for a thinner pen which needed a 7mm bit. Then the wife called and I had to run upstairs for a minute and when I got back I started drilling. About a half inch in :eek: I realized I hadn't changed drill bits. Of course the blank is too short to continue drilling and using on a larger pen.

Is it possible to cut the drilled portion off and glue/epoxy another piece on or would the seam show? Any suggestions on what I might do?

Thanks

Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Use the same plastic pattern and the seam will always show. Use a contrasting pattern and it will liik like you planned it that way.

Whichever you do, make the joint on a diagonal, and it will have a better sappearance than a straight across butt joint.

OKLAHOMAN

What Russ said,, on the diagonal, if you want to use the same blank put a piece of pick guard inbetween the two pieces.

jkeithrussell

Turn another piece of just about anything to fit the wrong size hole and glue it into the drilled hole. Then drill the right size.

If it's for a slimline, whatever you plug the hole with is what you'll have for a finished pen on the end with the 3/8" hole.

Last edited:

Buzzzz4

Take the advise of using pickguard or a metal in between. It does work to place the acrylics together, but depending on how much you can see through your acrylic plays a factor. I glued up brown and pink together and could see the brown through the pink. Also, I would highly suggest epoxy for gluing segments of acrylic. I just cracked my seam on an acrylic segment I did with CA. http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50795

Top Bottom