A Combination OFF topic and a ON topic Message

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

First The Off Topic message ;
I just got back from our fall fair and we had a larger turnout of peole than ever before. I had my Dome clock on display and it took first place ribbon for scroll/fretwork catagory and the large ribbon is first place for overall woodwotking in the WW division which I was managing.
I still cant figure out why first place is blue in USA and red is first place in Canada. Must be a Canadian thing EH ! !

66479527.jpg

And now on to the ON Topic message.;
While I was there , I took a display of some of my pens as a non exhibit item because only one of any particular item is allowed to be judged so I chose to enter my pens as a non judging display item in order to be able to have them there just to show some people.
This was not a craft sale of any kind. Just a fall fair with displayed items and no prices posted on anything.
But what really amazed me was the interest that I got in my pens. I had no idea that there would be so many people that appreciate the hand crafted pens and asked so many questions about it.
It turned out that I sold two $20.00 pens, Two 30.00 ones and two $40.00 ones. That was sure a nice boost to my confidence that pens are going to be a good seller in my particular area . I also got commission orders for two more in the wood and style of their choice and lots of people saying they would be contacting me before Christmas for orders.
I warned them not to call a week before Christmas for a custom one but they could choose from my stock. They sure picked up a bunch of my business cards so I'm sure I will hear back from some of them.

One curious request came up several times in that a few people had a piece of their own pet wood that they would like a pen made from. I told them as long as it was thoroughly aged and stable enough for making one, I could do that but the price would be the same as if I used my own blank and they would have the honor of having a hand crafted pen made from their own piece. Every one was completely aggreable on that point.
W.Y.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
William,
Canadian Flag doesn't have blue on it.

I tried your "airplane propeller" method of applying finish to pens. Works great. I tried to find some lacquer around my area. You would think being in the capital of the furniture industry in the US that it would be quite common. Found a gallon of auto clear lacquer at an auto parts store for US$120. Only other I could find was Deft Brushing Lacquer at a Lowes store. US$8 for a quart. Needless to say I got the Deft. Thinned it 50/50 and put it on some pens, flung them around on the end of a wire and hung them up to dry. Two coats. Look great. I think that when the level of lacquer in my storage bottle gets down a little bit I may add a little more thinner. Something like 40/60 mix. I think this brushing lacquer must be a little thicker than what you are using.

Anyway, Thank you for telling me of your method of how to finish pens. Works for me!
Mac

Whoops! Wrong William for the finish method. That was "Bill in Idaho"'s method of finishing. Sorry William.

William, that scroll saw building is magnificent. How long did it take to make it?

Thank you to Bill in Idaho for the method.

Is there a way to edit a post here?

G

BIll that clock always amazes me!
When are you going to incorprate your scoll sawing with pen making.
The thought is mind boggling!

M

Mudder

William,

There is an old guy (turned 90 in August) who lives up the street from me who makes huge and stunning fretwork using a tredal (sp?) saw and also with some hand fretsaws. In the summer he sits in his garage, smoking his pipe and cutting. I have stopped in to talk to him a few times and he is very nice. I do not have the patients required for such work and I am always at awe for what you guys can produce.

Thanks for sharing.

Mudder

William Young

Thanks for the comments on the clock. It took one hundred hours total to make from start to finish and that includes re-sawing 8/4 (2" thick) planks of red oak into quarter sawn dimensions for the parts and fretasawing out all the pieces and assembling and applying 3 coats of WB laquer.
W.Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom