colt drill bits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rebel1

I have been looking at the colt drill bits for drilling pen blanks, Is the 3/8 colt bit that Woodturningz sells for $9.70 each the same bit as the Colt 5 bit that sells for $14.95 every where else. I through I wood same money and buy the Gorilla Grind bits from PSI but the 3/8 did not cut as good as my regular bit. I don't want to keep wasting money on junk bits from China. Any help out there on this? Thanks rebel1:usflag:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

There are different grades of drill bits made by the same company. I would suggest calling Woodturningz and ask them what they have. I have found the HF 115 Titanium drill bit set to be just fine for drilling woods, metal, or acrylics. With this set you have number, letter, and standard drill sizes, along with a chart so you can get better fits for your tubes. Watch for it to go on sale, and than use the 20% coupon. Craft Supplies USA also sell the German Colt bits. They are the 5 star, M2 HSS, garanteed to drill through the pen blank in a single pass. The 3/8" is $13.40. Great people to deal with !! Jim S

Last edited:

its_virgil

I have had several colt bits break while drilling...never had any other bit break while drilling pen blanks.

I have the HF set and find them quite dependable. Only a couple of bits larger than 1/2 needed.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Sent from my Samsung Epic using Forum runner

Bowl Slinger

There is a difference between the standard Colt pen drilling blanks that Wood Turningz sells and the Colt 5-Star bits. The cutting edge has a completely different cut to it. The total length of the 5-Star 7mm is 5.90" (150mm), and the standard 7 mm bit is 3.66" (93mm) this is why there is a significant price difference. I own the 5 star bits and IMHO there are no other bits that cut as fast, cool or clean as these do.

Fred Belknap

I bough 7mm long Colt bit from CUSA and it is perfectly straight but it won't drill straight. I have tried it in the drill press and the lathe. I just bought one to check out the quality, it sure looks good but I guess if I use it will have to drill a pilot hole.

plantman

I bough 7mm long Colt bit from CUSA and it is perfectly straight but it won't drill straight. I have tried it in the drill press and the lathe. I just bought one to check out the quality, it sure looks good but I guess if I use it will have to drill a pilot hole.

:rolleyes: It sounds like your bit was not sharpened correctly. If the point is not centered and the flutes are slightly different lengths, the drill will never drill straight. Drilling a piolet hole may not help, as it will still pull to one side. Find someone that has a drill doctor and resharpen the bit. If this doesn't work, call them for a replacement or send it back. Jim S

Last edited:

plano_harry

The 7mm 5-star cuts like crazy, but it does seem to wander a little on some grains. It is longer than it needs to be which contributes to wander. I chuck it up as short as possible in my press. (probably should saw some of it off) I bought it because I was drilling 120 pens. They really pay off on production work for speed without heat.

Top Bottom