Colt Bits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy Simmons

I have noticed these bits sold online a few times, and recently saw them in a woodturners catalogue. I don't use acrylics, but I am a fan of tru-stone and antler, which can be a pain to drill. Has anyone used these, and what do you think??

Thanks, Randy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dankc908

That's about all I use and I am very happy with them. I have been told to switch to the 'bullet' point tip bits but haven't done so yet. I'd love to see what others say.

Dan

Jim Burr

Banned
If you're talking about brad point bits Dan...I read that they may not be a good choice. They "drill" with the point first, not the edges so they tend to "walk" off center where as a Jobber bit drills with the edge making it more accurate. Just my morning reading...not from personal experiance.

crabcreekind

I bought a set of millimetric Colt drill bits. I have used so far only the 7mm bit, and the 7mm tube WILL NOT fit in the hole.

I have several colt 7mm drill bits. They all work great. But for your problem. Take the drill bit and run it in and out of the hole a couple times, when your drill press is on. This will clear up the hole and allow for the tube to go in. I have had this to me more than once.

Bowl Slinger

I will second what Chris and Larry said. I have the the most common bit sizes and will reach for them before any other bit. They cut smoother, more accurate, remain cooler and the flutes stay clear rather than clog. Also they are about 1 inch longer so you can drill an entire 5.5" blank at one time and then cut it to fit your tubes on a 2 piece pen. This is excellent if you like matching the grain lines.

Top Bottom