Colorply supplier and tips

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moe

Hey all,

My Son (12) has just started turning pens. He has made three and is pretty proud of his accomplishment. I have never turned, so needless to say the first pen was very expensive. He wants to make pens for his teachers in the school colors, Colorply Ember Glow. Where is the best source for this wood? Got any tips on working with this material?

Thanks,

Moe

(I wasn't sure where to post this)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Hello Moe and welcome to our forum. I purchased my COLORPLY pen blank stock from Brookside Veneers Ltd. in New Jersey. Check out their website: www.colorply.com

Tips for working with colorply would be to go easy with your tools. Light pressure is best for scraping and making your cut. The material is very soft and forceful pressure will destroy the blank. Go easy with the sanding as well.

Enjoy the 'habit'.

-Peter-[:)]

wayneis

Personally I prefer Dymondwood from River Ridge Products but only from them. There is a difference, the Dymondwood that they sell is much more dense and loaded with resin, so much so that I've found that if sanded to 12,000 MM and buffed with white dymond no other finish is needed.

Wayne

Moe

We have just received our first order from River Ridge. The problem is they don't have the school colors.
I will try Brookside. So far we are having a blast as I am trying to get over "sticker shock[:0]

It's going to be a learning experience for both of us.

Thanks for the iformation.

Moe

mick

River Ridge gets my vote everytime...Great products, great customer service!! I'll use em over and over!

Texas Taco

Not trying to hijack the thread but I've got a question about the dymondwood. Isn't all Dymondwood the same, trade name for a Rutland Plywood product? I'm just curious and trying to learn more about the available products.

Moe

I did a search and came up empty.
The school colors are red and silver, not easy to find!
Last night he turned one of the River Ridge blanks. Wow,
what a nice looking pen that made.

I feel my wallet getting lighter.

KenV

Your priorities are in the right place if you are working with an interest on his part --

You might introduce him to Woodturning Design magazine (WDM) or the American Association of Woodturners.
The current WDM has a couple of pen/penblank related features ==

Moe

Originally posted by KenV
<br />You might introduce him to Woodturning Design magazine (WDM) or the American Association of Woodturners.
The current WDM has a couple of pen/penblank related features ==

I have thought about getting him a subscription to a magazine for Christmas. The only thing that is stopping me is my own experience with hobby related magazines, more ads then info. Is the same true with the Mags you suggest?

Moe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom