Coloring wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

McBryde

I have seen how some people are turning wood that is colored. How are they coloring the wood? I don't mean regularly colored wood, but things like orange pecan wood, or something like that.

Thanks,

E

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
Most i have seen is food coloring applied after the turning and sanding as Butch mentioned. I think you can use about any water based dyes.

witz1976

:biggrin:+1 on the McCormick's Just remember with any water based dye that the grain will slightly rise and needs to be resanded. I use a paper bag to burnish the wood works like a charm. Oh, also remember to let it dry really well before you try to apply CA...don't ask how I know this...:redface:

McBryde

Say i was to use a blue food coloring, how blue would this get a light colored wood? Would you still be able to see the spalting in it, or the grain, or would it just be a blue pen?

E

Mac

I use testors model paint ( so I can make my on colors)and remove what I don't want with DA ,while still on the lathe.
I mainly do this on my hollow globes for Christmas orniments but will work on pens. I like the grain to show through.

ldb2000

Say i was to use a blue food coloring, how blue would this get a light colored wood? Would you still be able to see the spalting in it, or the grain, or would it just be a blue pen?

E

With food coloring you can just keep adding color until you get the shade you want . This is a piece of curly hickory with 2 coats of blue food coloring .

BryanJon

Same here. I have been using aniline dye from the start.
I also have a double and triple stain process I use with the dye. It gives the wood so much depth, if heavily figured.(maple)
I use Aniline Dyes. It is made for wood, and a little goes a long long way. Carl

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
attachment.php

attachment.php

These pens were turned from curly hard maple. Then dyed, partially sanded off, then dyed again, and subsequently finished.

I utilize 2 types of dye, one from LV http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=20082&cat=1,190,42942

and this from a Canadian Co. called Wood Essence https://www.woodessence.com/ColorFX-Dye-Concentrates-C12.aspx

Attachments

• 278 SOLD (Small).jpg
    278 SOLD (Small).jpg
    31 KB · Views: 505
  • 305 - 306 (Small).jpg
    305 - 306 (Small).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:

pensbydesign

I use Aniline Dyes mixed with alcohol so not to raise the grain. i put a coat of vinyl sealer to keep the dye from bleeding into the ca finish

McBryde

ldb2000, is that just food coloring dropped on teh wood out of a dropper? Or is it soaked in it? Also, is it mixed with anything, or just put on there straight?

E

ldb2000

Just drop a few drops on the blank (on the lathe , any speed) while spreading it with a paper towel . Usually 3 or 4 drops is enough per coat . Full color is reached with 3 coats (depending on the wood) letting it dry for an hour or so between coats . I find the liquid works better but some prefer the gel .

RAdams

Banned
Here is a slim i did out of curly maple that i got from Oldfar.....I mean wagon (Todd)...

It has amazng curl, and I have never made an "Arthritis" pen, so i figured what the heck. It has two coats of blue liquid food coloring (Generic) I apply mine to the paper towel first and wipe on IMMEDIATELY. Two coats.

RAdams

Banned
LOL... I forgot the photo

Attachments

• 1_Arthitus_Vega_Curly_Maple_Dyed.jpg
    1_Arthitus_Vega_Curly_Maple_Dyed.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 110

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Very nice looking pens guys!

What kit is that Mackc?
The first pic is known as a Baron in Canada, the 2 together are Sedonas. They may have other names for them in the US.:confused:

Further to my mixing and application process: the aniline dyes from LV can be dissolved in as little water as possible and then add the alcohol. (Isopropyl 99% pure) Stay away from that killer Methyl Hydrate!!

A mixture of less than 1 tsp. total will dye a lot of pens. I apply the dye with a small artists brush, painting it on till the colour doesn't change any further. I let it dry overnight, maybe sanding off lightly, and then I paint the blank again. The alcohol flashes off quite quickly, but I like to let the dyes set for a day or so.

The Wood Essence dyes are liquid. I mix them in Isopropyl as well and apply in the same fashion. A really good deal from WoodEssence is this one https://www.woodessence.com/ColorFX-Dye-Trial-12-Color-Kits-P51.aspx 12 colours for less than $50.00

Top Bottom