Coloring Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

kstrohpaul

My wife has decided that she wants to turn some "different color" pens, since I am new and don't have a clue what I'm talking about, I thought I would ask the experts. What type of wood is best to color? What type of color do I use? and when do I apply it? (and can someone come to my house and do it for me..;)) Thanks for the help.

Keith J.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Keith, not to short change the topic but if you will look under the articles (link on the home page) there is a discussion on spirit stains. Also if you will do a search for dyeing, or coloring wood, oyu will find several topics listed. Glad your wife is keping you busy

its_virgil

I have good luck with maple and use aniline dye for coloring. Turn, sand, apply dye on lathe spinning slow and buff dry with soft cloth or paper towel. Apply finish.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by kstrohpaul
<br />My wife has decided that she wants to turn some "different color" pens, since I am new and don't have a clue what I'm talking about, I thought I would ask the experts. What type of wood is best to color? What type of color do I use? and when do I apply it? (and can someone come to my house and do it for me..[;)]) Thanks for the help.

Keith J.

nilsatcraft

I agree with Don. I also like using Box Elder or Box Elder Burl for dying. I use either Chestnut Spirit Stain or Artisan Dyes for coloring wood. They can be dilluted as well as mixed. I apply like Don does.

MDWine

I have recently tried using the "Sharpie" pens for coloring, and was not at all happy with it. It is difficult to get the coloring even, although I tried to use DNA to "even out" the blank. I found that the DNA only diluted the color. I think the aniline type of dyes are next on my list, althought they're a tad expensive. If the colors are more even, it will be worth it.

Scott

Hi Keith,

I have experimented with coloring a bit. Light colored woods, such as maple and boxelder, are good for coloring.

I have used spirit stains, sharpie markers, and most of the other methods of coloring. I enjoyed the Sharpies, but they didn't come in enough colors. I am now trying the Prismacolor markers, and I think these will be really good. Lots of available colors at a decent price. I didn't care for the spirit stains as I thought the color was "whimpy". I want intense colors for my pens! The spirit stains seem to be really good for bowls and other large pieces though.

On the pens I've done with the Sharpies, I applied the color with the lathe running slow. I just held the pen to the underside of the spinning blanks. And I went back over it until I got the color I wanted. Most of the ones I did with Sharpies I wanted to be two-tone, with the colors blended from one to the other. After applying the color, I usually wiped it down with alcohol on a paper towel to blend it all together. I'll be taking the same approach with the Prismacolor.

I have a friend who colors his pens with silk dye (Hi, Emory!), and he acheives some amazing, vibrant color. There are all kinds of way to impart color to pens. Try whatever you have on hand. If it works for you, go for it. There is no "one best way" to do this, and besides, sometimes the most fun is in the trying!

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom