Coloring tubes..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Len Shreck

What is a good thing to use to color tubes that are epoxied into acrylic blanks? I have made a few pens lately and at the ends I am able to see the brass tube threw the acrylic. Thanks for any and all help with this question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

I know of no way of coloring the tubes after they're in the blank. As a rule, if I'm doing any acrylic/PR with any translusence, I will color my blanks/tubes prior to.

Len Shreck

Sorry I guess I made it sound like I wanted to color them after :biggrin: What I was asking is what is good to use to color them before I put them in with the epoxy, I dont know what would work with using epoxy. SORRY..lol I read what I posted and it does sound like I want to col;or them after, I meant it as what can I color them with that the epoxy wont mess up or take off. MY BAD... Len

JimMc7

I use the Apple Barrel brand acrylic paints from Michael's or similar craft stores to paint inside of blank after drilling. I use a Q-tip to apply 2 coats -- let each coat dry at least overnight (before 2nd coat and epoxy glue-up).

I tried spray painting tubes and that works for most acrylics but I still had visible glue voids with some of the acrylics. Reverse blank painting has solved that so far.

Last edited:

Chasper

I use Testors enamel but I don't paint the tubes, I paint the inside of the blank. If you rely on painting the tube you still have a problem with a blochy look from places where the epoxy is not totally covering the tube.

Len Shreck

Chasper and PaulDoug, The Testors enamel is that something I can get at Walmart or do I have to go to Michael's for it? PaulDoug, is there a special type that can be mixed in with the epoxy? Thank you both for the help. Len
Lenny, I will read all through that thread and see if I get any good info out of it. Thanks. The Other Lenny :biggrin:

Last edited:

Buzzzz4

You can get testors at Walmart or any place that would sell model cars/craft stuff. The testors can be mixed with epoxy. I use a q-tip and paint the inside of the blank with good success.

Len Shreck

Thanks a lot Eric I will try and pick up a few diff colors today maybe. Since I started turning Acrylics I think its hard to go back to wood. :biggrin::wink:

Buzzzz4

I would highly agree. I'm loving the acrylics. I found a variety pack of small bottle of testors. I believe these are pretty easy to find.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I picked up some pastel chalks pretty cheap .. I shave some dust into the epoxy
with the flat side of a razor blade. That colored it pretty well, and you can custom
mix the colors easily to match what you need.

bruce119

Coloring Acrylic Blanks My Way

I saw your post at Curtis's thread he has a good video on painting blanks.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?p=981219#post981219

This is how I do it.

First thing is to drill I use one size larger bit. You want to slip the tube in the hole. Remember you will be painting the inside of the drilled hole. You want a very sharp bit to get the cleanest possible dilled hole you can. Drill slow keep your bit cool if you chip or scorch the inside of the hole the paint mite not hide it.

Now I paint the inside of the hole. There are many ways to accomplish this. I use spray paint and just spray it in from each end flooding the tube. The most important thing is good solid coverage weather it be spray paint or a brush. If you leave a brush mark (thin transparent spot) or a thin spot from spray paint. IT WILL SHOW even if you paint your tube and color your epoxy.

Now I do paint my tubes as an extra insurance. Let the blanks & tubes throughly set & dry over night. The paint in the blanks takes a lot longer to dry I would guess because the air doesn't circulate through them. I put the blanks in front of a small fan to help this.

Now check your fit the tubes should slide in. You did drill them oversize because if you didn't they will probably stick and scratch the inside. I plug one end of the tube with model clay then I use epoxy spread it inside the blank and on the tube. Then work the tube in the hole. It's very important to get complete even coverage when gluing any acrylic. I don't color my glue but you can as an added precaution. You should be able to just use some of the paint you used painting your blanks and mix it in the epoxy. Some experimenting will be required not all paints work with epoxy. But if painted and drilled correctly and the paint is dry it is not necessary to color the glue.

Well the rest is as usual this was just a detailed way that I do it.

Thanks for reading.

Top Bottom