Coloring tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodmarc

Ok, I turned an pen with an acrylic, and the brass tubes showed through :(.
What is the best method for coloring?
a can of spray paint, chemical treatment or some other method. I like turning the stuff, hate seeing the brass through the material.

TIA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DWK5150

Ther are many choices there. I use permanent marker or acyic model paints. Depending on the color of the blank you might want to paint the tube and the inside of the blank as well.

mick

There are how many penturners here? You'll get at least that many opinions as to the best way to color pen tubes. I've found that there is no standard answer. It all depends on what the material is .....how translucent it is and the desired effect you want. IMHO if there was a "standard" color to paint tubes it would be white. Altho with white you run the risk of lightening , or washing out the color of your smaller pens such as slimlines when you turn them down close to the tubes. Black is another choice for darker plastics. Again you run the risk of "darkening " your pens as you near the tubes.
I've reached a happy medium by painting the tubes a color close to the predominate color of the blank. This can also be tricky with multi colored blanks. I use a variety of paints from spray enamels to the small bottles of acrylic craft paints. I've recently stumbled onto something I'm sure more experienced plastic turners already know, but I've learned to paint the insides of the blanks rather than the tubes. My reasoning behind this is: with a very translucent blank you will see the glue in the form of bubbles or wavey lines because the glue is "between" the blank and the painted tube. But if you paint the inside of the blank then the glue is "between" the paint and the tube as is not visible. This is just my two cents worth but maybe it'll help.
I've also begun experimenting by painting blanks such as a very transparent pearl white(I believe it came from CSUSA)with a bright color, say purple and turning the pen. You get some very interesting results. Because of the varying degrees of transparency you got widely differing shades of purple. I'll try to find a pic of a perfume pen I did this way and post it later.
I realize this has been long but I do a lot of plastics and acrylics and to me it's a lot of fun!

JimQ

If you need a dark tube, there is a product on the market called Hobby Black. It is a chemical darkener for brass. Keep dipping until you get the darkness you want, then rinse off the excess. You can get anything from a light brown to a dark ebony. Do this after you sand the tube, as that would take the surface oxidation off. Otherwise it is permanent.

I got my last bottle from a hobby shop. It is usually found with model railroad supplies.

JimQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom