Coloring stabilized blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy

I have read Lees article on vacuum stabilizing pen blanks with poly. I am going to try it tonight with some redwood burl. Is it possible to dye the poly so the blank takes on the color of the dye? What is the best dye for this? Will RIT clothing dye work with oil based poly? I would be interested in trying maybe a red or blue dye.

Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I will be interested on learning about this too. Not to hijack but can we add plexi-acetone mix on the list? I want to know if there is a dye that will work with it too. [:D]

JimGo

I'd try the liquid coloring agents they sell for polyester resin. While not the same as poly or plexi, if I remember my highschool chemistry classes they are in at least the same family and the colors might work.

Dario

BTW Chris, for some reason redwood seems to be resistant to stabilization. Not sure if it will take Poly better but I tried plexi-acetone and though it is taking...it seems very slow. Much slower than the ones I tried with the same solution (i.e. spalted maple, spalted buckeye, spalted alder) Of course the reason the others worked so well may be because they are spalted [:D]

Cowboy

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />I'd try the liquid coloring agents they sell for polyester resin.

Do you know if they sell it at Michaels (craft store)?

Dario:

I will try some spalted wood as well.

Chris

Dario

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />It's not resistant under a vacuum. [;)]

Okay Billy, I promise to get the final connection of my vacuum setup done next week [B)][;)]

BTW, before I left this morning the blanks are sinking a bit already...so there is hope [;)].

The plexi-acetone solution turned reddish though...almost like strawberry red...looks yummy!!! [:D]

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I have done a lot of experimenting on stabilising badly spalted pen blanks. My favorite is epoxy thinned with DNA to the consistency of maple syrup. I have added color to this mix and had good results. here is an experimental American Flat Top spalted hackberry that was stabilized with the Epoxy/DNA mix colored with Transtin bordeaux dye. This dye will mix with just about anything. You might give it a try.

ColoredEpoxySPHack.jpg

Johnathan

Originally posted by Dario
<br />
Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />It's not resistant under a vacuum. [;)]

Okay Billy, I promise to get the final connection of my vacuum setup done next week [B)][;)]

BTW, before I left this morning the blanks are sinking a bit already...so there is hope [;)].

The plexi-acetone solution turned reddish though...almost like strawberry red...looks yummy!!! [:D]

Just don't eat it Dario! We all need you around to sell us great wood.[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom