Coloring PR blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsnyder

What is the best thing to use for vibrant colors in plastc resin? TIA

Darrin

Draken

I've used the transparent dyes that are intended for PR coloring, but they aren't bright. I've also used acrylic paint colorant, and this works well, but limit the amount you use. I've found that 10 to 12 drops works great, but use too much, and the PR takes forever to setup (like two weeks), is much harder to get out of the molds, and the air bubbles don't rise out of the molds as easily. I got a pack of eight colors of colorant at AC Moore for $23, before using the 40% off coupon.

Hope this helps,
Draken

TomServo

I've used standard paint tints from Ace - they work all right, are cheap or free and I've found that if you go a little extra (edit: with the hardener! up to 9-10 drops/oz) it will set up faster and come out nice and hard. One thing I should emphasize: the blanks will sometimes set up darker than they appear while you are mixing and playing. Stir slowly and carefully, pour slowly and carefully, and it is possible to never have bubbles in the solution. It takes practice.

I've heard very good things about the powder tints from artstuf - I have requested a color chart (fri) and I'll keep posted if they email me one this week. Otherwise you can get a general idea by google'ing up the name of the tint. My most recent pair came out all right, and I'll try and post pictures when I get home from work. I made something akin to the "Grape Candy" blanks sold commercially. I have observed that the pearlescent colors are heavier and must be added at precisely the right time to prevent settling to the bottom of the mold.. I like to mix the pearl with some PR in a seperate cup and add just before the resin starts to gel. if you pour it just right, there will be no bubbles and no need to stir. I'm assuming a flat tray type mold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom