Coloring PR Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mplisowski

Just thinking outside the box a little. I saw the Pearl-Ex powders at Micheal's lately but was put off by the $25 pricetag for such small containers of pigment. I know I can order the pigments online, but I'm in the investigative phase of casting my own blanks.

Would it be possible to use artist's acrylic paint in the tube as the colorant for PR blanks. It is made from powdered pigments and is very concentrated right out of the tube and realatively inexpensive. If this would be possible, I think the color possibilities would be endless. Has anybody tried this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cozee

I haven't done any PR casting (yet!!) but am quite familiar with dry pearls since I do a lot of custom painting/airbrushing. I do not see why any dry pearl wouldn't work. And if someone has gotten acrylic artist's paint to work then there is a plethora of paint available for coloring PR. I say that because artist's acrylics are water based and specifically in mind there is a line of automotive custom paints, Auto Air, which is water based and are formulated for the airbrush that come in some really neat colors, including the color changing shades. However, the more "trick" the paint the higher the price.

Are the PRs used in making pen blanks waterbased???? Where is a good source for ordering them??

dfurlano

Go here: (yahoo groups:penturners)

http://f2.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wJ1PQ30L8yAlw6iZhVzOXLvhvJ-5EwoaAnX4OZE1lMnTQ9WxWkrP3WQ9ZFS_9GHxq4FyOaiUkzshod7soPS_sWcqfnK-qQ/GROUP%20INFO/Penturners%20FAQ.htm

Scroll down to "Making Pens", the last item is about casting PR and there are two docs. One of the two docs has a web site where you can buy PR and supplies very cheap.

Draken

The PearlEx powder from Michaels is good for adding shimmer and swirls to the PR, it can be used alone, or with the liquid dyes Michaels also sells. This is what I did for my first try at PR casting. The photo of my results in another thread.

My wife was upset that I didn't include her in my first casting, and she wants to make up some of her own. So I bought another quart of PR (using Michaels 60% off coupon) and some concentrated liquid acrylic paint colorant. Got a pack of 8 colors for $23. Cast a test last night, and so far things are looking good. The colorant is a very thin consistency, and only took 10 drops in 2 1/2 oz. of PR to give a nice rich color. Still added in some PearlEx to get the shimmer and swirl look I want. The jars of it are small, but do go a long way. Only need a small amount. AC Moore has larger bottles of individual color, which may be better for colors you use most often. If my PR pens end up being popular, then I'll go the route of getting supplies from artstuf.com, as it is cheaper if you buy in quantity. I'll post photos of my latest PR castings once the quart is finished and everything hardens. Casting will be tonight, so sometime early next week.

Cheers,
Draken

JimGo

Draken, you're much more patient than me; I usually pop mine out about 3 hours after I pour them, depending on the weather.

I'll be curious to see the results!

Draken

JimGo,

I just like to make sure they are fully cured. Hard to see what is happening at the bottom of the tubes. I'll bring along the newly cast orange ones with me on Saturday. I'll also try to remember to post a photo of the exact colorant pack I purchased, got it at AC Moore which just opened up near me.

Cheers,
Draken

53Jim

Mark,
I have used acrylic paint (Cermacoat, etc.) as a colorant for PR. I did not mix it in as well as I should have. The end result (after polishing) was a blotchy looking finish. A few people who have seen it think it is WAY COOOOL.[8D] (I hang out with some real strange people) The paint does work very well, and a little doesn't go quite as far as the pearl dust stuff, but you don't need half a bottle of paint, just several drops. Mix well, than mix again.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom