Colorfill advice please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

I just sold this one and the buyer wants it laser engraved. Needed a super fast turn around so I used a local engraver. However, they don't do colorfill so I'm gonna have to do it. My question is what color to use with this pen. I think black will get lost in some of the grain. I was thinking about using gold to match the gold TN plating, but I'm not sure that will have the necessary visibility on the Afzelia.

Image Insert:
2005129233755_sierraTG_afzeliaburl.jpg

What say the experts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Maybe not, Billy, but the last two afzelia pens I sold were to doctors. One wanted a deep blue and the other wanted blood red (he had to settle for scarlet). They both turned out beautiful and both customers were extremely pleased. Gold on the gold hue of afzelia will get lost. Black would be a reasonable, but all too traditional choice. Show your customer some artistry! (Or at least recommend something a little different.)

JimGo

I'd go black if you want it to look classy and subtle, or something like a green or blue if you want the engraving to stand out more. The blue that Lou suggested should pop without looking too "over the top". Something the color of this little guy: [:(] would <u>really</u> stand out, if that's the goal.

laserturner

Hi Billy,
I'd stay away from the gold. It's not going to contrast well with the Afzelia. If your engraver hasn't engraved it yet I'd suggest engraving on the lower black section. It's powdercoated and engraves away cleanly to reveal the brass underneath. Hit it with a buffing wheel to shine it up. Comes out great.
Ken

alamocdc

Thanks, Ken, I never thought about that. Unfortunately, it's too late. I talked to her though and she likes the idea of the blue. I'll just make sure it's a darker blue and it should look okay.

ldimick

Gold would be my first suggestion and then black. I guess it all depends upon how much you want to accentuate the engraving versus the pen.

I actually used some Burgundy boot polish on some tulipwood with spectacular results. Filled in nicely and was VERY easy to work with. The engraving was deep enough, and narrow enough, so that wear was not really an issue.

mrcook4570

How about no color fill? That would show a subtle elegance that would not compete with any of the other colors present in the pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom