Colored Pencil Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JoeyGee

So, I have attempted two colored pencil pens, with varying levels of success on each. Has anyone made pens (or anything else) from colored pencils? I can turn them fine if I go slow and am careful, but sanding is where I run into trouble. The "lead" in them turns to a fine dust--like graphite, but I don't think they are graphite--and just grinds into the end grain, which is impossible to get out. These turned out "OK" but have some dark spots from the "lead".

I just got some cheap pencils from the dollar store, which I have heard may work. I hope to find out tomorrow.

Attachments

• Colored Pencil Pen (1).jpg
    Colored Pencil Pen (1).jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 385
  • Colored Pencil Pen (2).jpg
    Colored Pencil Pen (2).jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 344
  • Blanks Cut.jpg
    Blanks Cut.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 476
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

The two pen pictures you show look pretty good to me !!!!

Other members have successfully done what you are trying to do, but you'll have to do a search because I don't remember the link to the pictures they posted.

You're right ... the colored "leads" are not graphite. . It would be best if you can avoid sanding by using a very sharp skew chisel for your final stage of turning. . But if you have to sand, perhaps you could do so in the presence of a strong "wind" of compressed air.

Welcome to IAP !!!!

Last edited:

CREID

Here are a couple videos. The one is pen specific and he says that he is going to use a pressure pot.
The other one could be used for anything including pens.
[yt]tWSlV58qi5M[/yt]
[yt]5Y767gdemD8[/yt]

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Joey. You snuck in on us over here. Your pen colors have my mind racing with ideas!

Did you get the chuck you commented on? Looking forward to more posts from you!

I started a thread on HSS vs Carbide yesterday. I didn't mention it in that thread, but I stay with HSS most of the time because I can sharpen HSS to be sharper than my new carbide inserts - with the purpose that I can begin to apply finish to a blank without having to sand it. I did segments that smeared like you mention when sanding. Then I learned from practice that a very sharp HSS can turn blanks to a glass smooth finish without the need for sanding. AND there is no smearing from the fine dust.

Last edited:

JoeyGee

Hank, yes I did just sneak in here. Finally got around to joining. Nice to see you outside the SawdustZone!

Yes, I did get the G3 set from Woodcraft today. I'm looking forward to setting it up and using it, hopefully tomorrow.

I really like it here so far. My head is spinning with all the awesome content here. It sure is inspiring.

JoeyGee

Curt, thanks for those videos. I'll check them out. I am going to get some more colored pencil pens done and maybe some lidded boxes for teachers gifts this year.

Crayman

Joe, I have turned 50 plus items with colored pencils, the one thing i have found is you can not sand them. the color is not just graphite it contains wax also. I turn everything just under size with both HSS and Carbide cutter depending on the piece. Most of the time I will drill to size, coat the inside with thin ca, dry and re drill to help seal the lead, I was having blow outs near completion with poor glue adhesion(epoxy), This has removed this problem. I also will turn a piece to 80% complete and set aside to cool before finish turning, I feel the creates less chance the ca will dissolve the color and smear it. I make my own blanks by casting in Alumilite.

JoeyGee

Thank you, Craig. That is a huge help. The tip about drilling, coating, redriling sounds like exactly what I need. I have had a few blowouts almost exactly as you have described and that solution makes perfect sense.

Also, not sanding will be a challenge, but should be well worth it if I can get a smooth enough finish with just the tools. Can't wait to try more with these tips.

kentonjm

Hi Joey, good to see you here. Ever since I saw your pens on The SawdustZone I have been looking for the best price to get them. I keep meaning to pop into a dollar store but havent done so yet.

I did find these on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Sargent-Art-Assortment-Colored-22-7252/dp/B003WICB9A

These ones are only $5 for 50 but they are an "add-on" although its never hard to spend more than $25 on Amazon :)

https://www.amazon.com/LolliZ-50-Colored-Pencils-Set/dp/B01IQFOQOG/

It looks like you need approx 50 pencils to make 3 blanks is that about right?

leehljp

Member Liaison
Hi Joey, good to see you here. Ever since I saw your pens on The SawdustZone I have been looking for the best price to get them. I keep meaning to pop into a dollar store but havent done so yet.

These ones are only $5 for 50 but they are an "add-on" although its never hard to spend more than $25 on Amazon :)

Are they round or 6 sided? Does it make a difference in banding them together for gluing, casting and turning?

JohnU

I've made several from the Crayola brand which are round and not sided. I also cast mine in alumilte at an angle and not "cross cut". It makes them a little easier to turn without blowing them up. I have broke a few but CA fixed that. I also use CA during the turning to help. I occasionally had to glue the lead back in the pencil. I put a white towel down on the lathe bed to catch them when they fell out. I sanded mine just fine and wiped them off with denatured alcohol before applying the CA finish. They cleaned up very easily.

Attachments

• colored%20pencils.jpg
    colored%20pencils.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 203

stuckinohio

I also have made pencil pens/pencils. I glue them together with CA, lots of it! Then I turn a little off, then glue again, turn, glue until I get close to the bushings. Once I'm very close I glue again and sand. The pencils have to be saturated with CA the way I do it, so sanding doesn't ruin them.

Attachments

• DSCN2095.jpg
    DSCN2095.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCN2098.jpg
    DSCN2098.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN2001.jpg
    DSCN2001.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 112

JoeyGee

You're killing me making me do math, LOL. I think I got (3) 5" blanks from (3) 12 packs of Crayolas if I recall correctly. I got them when they were on sale during back to school, so I got them for $1/12 pack.

JoeyGee

Are they round or 6 sided? Does it make a difference in banding them together for gluing, casting and turning?

All I have used so far is round and they fit together fine. Sometimes the pencils are warped/twisted just a hair and that can cause gaps, but I am careful to watch for that when I glue them up.

As others have said, the trick is to use CA throughout turning to keep them from blowing up. I usually have cutoffs on hand to take the leads out of to replace the ones that come out during turning. These are definitely a lesson in patience, but a ton of fun to make.

JoeyGee

I've made several from the Crayola brand which are round and not sided. I also cast mine in alumilte at an angle and not "cross cut". It makes them a little easier to turn without blowing them up. I have broke a few but CA fixed that. I also use CA during the turning to help. I occasionally had to glue the lead back in the pencil. I put a white towel down on the lathe bed to catch them when they fell out. I sanded mine just fine and wiped them off with denatured alcohol before applying the CA finish. They cleaned up very easily.

John, that crosscut is awesome. I never thought of doing it that way.

I will pick up some denatured alcohol and give that a shot. Thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom