colored pencil pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OLLIEwinz

i have seen people make rings,bottlestoppers and bowls out of colored pencils but has anyone tried to make a colored pencil pen? i think i may give it a try. any tips or tricks that might help?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

One of the members in the turning club I go to has made several bowls using colored pencils glued together.

His advice to anyone considering it was "use really sharp tools -- do not attempt to sand or it will smudge the colors all over the place"

JohnU

There are have been several here that have made pens with them. Some glue them with CA, I like to cast mine in Alumilite. Some approach them in a cross cut manner, I like to apply them at a 45 degree angle. Make sure to use lots of CA or expoxy when gluing in the tubes, and paint the tubes so the brass doesn't show between the pencils. Expect the colored lead to come out of the pencils as you are working them. They glue in easily with thin CA. Also remember to wipe the blank down with denatured alcohol after your done sanding it to finished size, to remove the colored lead from the blank prior to the CA finish. Good luck!

david44

i have seen people make rings,bottlestoppers and bowls out of colored pencils but has anyone tried to make a colored pencil pen? i think i may give it a try. any tips or tricks that might help?

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/last-i-did-138990/

They are a p.i.t.a. I find - but satisfying when finished. I got a real sense of achievement after a few failures. Trying to make a second one and now wondering why! Patience, very sharp tools and a few gallons of super glue.:laugh:

OLLIEwinz

hmm...wondering if i should still do it, i have carbide tools because i don't have the money for a sharpening system, this amy be a problem.

jttheclockman

hmm...wondering if i should still do it, i have carbide tools because i don't have the money for a sharpening system, this amy be a problem.

Why should it be a problem. What you need to look at is if you have an idea like this and you ask enough questions, give it a go for yourself. This does a couple things. It gets you acclimated with using different medium. You improve on your turning skills. And if it does not come out well, you had a learning experience. That is worth more than a wasted tube or some CA. Go for it. Your mileage may vary from others. :) Hope you do it and post some before turned photos or as being built photos. That would be cool.

Last edited:

david44

My "sharpening system" is just an old bench grinder with pink wheel plus a pair of hands and a set of diamond hones (ezelap) to touch up the edges of my hss tools - some of which are simple home made ones.

Give it a whirl! I always reckon "nothing ventured, nothing gained".

JohnU

I agree with the others... You wont know unless you give it a try. Just take light easy cuts at it.

OLLIEwinz

an idea

i had an idea, what if i got an existing blank and drilled holes in it to accept the round colored pencils, this might be a good starting point.

Lucky2

i had an idea, what if i got an existing blank and drilled holes in it to accept the round colored pencils, this might be a good starting point.

I've got my doubts that doing this will work, I just can't see you getting the drill holes lined up tight and straight even.
Len

OLLIEwinz

i was going to go for more of a random pattern rather than a uniform one. or try and make it uniform and if it doesn't end up that way i think ill say it was intentional

Notscottish

It was a piece of cake. A brittle, Fragile, aggravating, time consuming piece of cake...

Last edited by a moderator:

jimmyz

Use hexagonal colored pencils instead of round. Use about 1 1/2" length on the pieces, so you have something to cut down to 3/4 square. Also easier to hold onto when gluing. Coat them with lots of CA as you assemble and as you turn. I've seen some real nice ones. Good luck!

Top Bottom