On color filling...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gomeral

I just color filled some pen blanks that I had laser engraved. The blanks all were CA/BLO finished with 5-7 coats before engraving. Do I need to do more CA/BLO to seal the engraving? I've left the pens unassembled in case I need to do this, so it won't be that difficult to re-mount on the Delrin bushings and go to town, but I can't afford to screw up the blanks - they are commission and I don't have time to redo them.

Thanks,

daniel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

What did you color fill them with..inlace? Sounds like you finished the blanks, then color filled them. I would put another finish over it if you used inlace. Normally you wouldn't have to put a finish over inlace as it will polish up like any plastic, but if you have a finish on the wood then use the inlace, the inlace might not have perfect adhesion like it would if it was directly on the wood. Therefore, I would use a thin coat of CA to ensure it is sealed in. If the pen was finished with your CA/BLO, then sent out to be engraved and then filled, well the inlace is in direct contact with wood on the bottom, so you are fine.

1080Wayne

Daniel
I certainly would . and would bring it back to the original surface level , if you haven`t already done so with the colour fill . you don`t want the engraving collecting dirt, especially on a commissioned job .
Wayne

gomeral

Jeff, I color filled using Pro Color Fill from Laserbits. Basically turned, finished, sent out for laser, got back "raw" and color filled myself. Wayne, I tried to get a good amount in there to bring it level, but the stuff must shrink a little as it dries because it's definitely not flush. I'm thinking I agree with you, bring it back to flush and cover it, I'm just nervous about it - not sure how to make sure I get CA in the engraving without messing everything up, and I can't really sand it out of there.

This will be a ponder for a while and maybe I'll try tonight.

Thanks,

daniel

workinforwood

Plastc baggie inside out on finger, thin CA, speed on low, wipe thin coat of CA across the pen. turn of lathe, spin by hand and spray from a distance a small amount of accellorator. wait about 30 seconds, repeat, then your done. few minutes later you can sand it all out even and polish it up. If doing this, I like to start out by dry sanding with the lathe off. I lightly dry sand across the pen with 220 grit to level the surface. Then I flip on the lathe, speed it up, grab the 320 and begin wet sanding up through 6000 and then plastic polish and wax.

Rmartin

I would leave it as it is. I use Pro Sealer over color fill to keep the color bright. I like the 3-D effect of engraving rather than a smooth surface which to me, looks painted on.

DozerMite

Banned
I don't like using accelerator, it usually turns the CA white. That will ruin your day real fast if it does that in the engraving.

Top Bottom