color fill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Roy99664

Anyone do their own color fill after engraving? I would like to do it myself so I could use colors that I want. I don't have a clue of how the process is done. I did a search of this site and came up empty. I recall someone saying they used "Rub & Buff", but that's all I remember. Do you have to protect it with something after applying the color fill?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

On PR and wood, I have just used acrylic paint. Use a fine brush and make sure you wipe off fast.

1080Wayne

Roy For best results , normal CA finish before laser engraving , seal the engraving with thin CA to prevent colour bleed , acrylic colour of your choice , fill in engraving with medium or thick CA depending on engraving depth , and refinish . Colour is then totally locked in , the engraved surface is flush with the rest of the pen , and dirt won`t collect in it . Wayne

george

Hello !

I am using this old thread for saving on # of its. I would like to ask, if some perhaps have a place, where I could buy similar laser engrave filler, such as "pro color fill" of Laser-Bits.

I have contacted them, and since their prices of fills are quite accaptable, they charge 20 $ for handling and only use air delivery, which is between 50 and 100 $. That make this fill quite expensive.

I have not found this fills in CSUSA or some other shop that sell kits ? Do any of you know for that kind of shop ? Probably in Europe ?

Thank you in advance for possbile answer, have a nice christmas and a hapy new year.

laserturner

George, Any paste consistancy acrylic paint available at hobby or art/craft supply stores will work well. Laserbits stuff is the best I've found but I can see where shipping overseas could get expensive.
Ken

ELCAMINO63

i have been experimenting with some color fill in the least likely places or types if your using acrylic i have had luck using ordinary crayon you get a variety of colors and such the draw back on that is wide large areas but if the lines are thin it rubs in well check out my saints pen i make , i have a hard time keeping enough handy because down here in mississippi its da bomb to be a who dat fan lol .

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I do my own filling with acrylic artists paint. I bought a tube fo $2.85 and it will most likely do 500 pens, if it doesn'rt dry out first. I had an order for 50 pens and the filling would have cost $3 per pen (two lines each that's $150) so the tube of paint cost about what one laser supplier filling would have cost for one pen. I apply it with my finger, wearing a rubber type glove, and allow to dry till it hazes over a little then wipe off with a paper towel or rag. Wait 15 min. and do it again. Never have had one fail. I was shown how to do this by my laser engraver, it' what he uses.

OldFox

Roy, here is what I do to color laser engraving on pens: at first I put a piece of masking tape were the engraving will be done, secondly you have it engraved (the laser will cut through the masking tape), thirdly use an Air Brush to paint over the masking tape the color of your choice and finally remove the masking tape, this method gives a professional look to your engraving with crisp letters.

randyrls

Roy, here is what I do to color laser engraving on pens: at first I put a piece of masking tape were the engraving will be done, secondly you have it engraved (the laser will cut through the masking tape), thirdly use an Air Brush to paint over the masking tape the color of your choice and finally remove the masking tape, this method gives a professional look to your engraving with crisp letters.

Donald; That is a GREAT TIP!!!!

Top Bottom