Collet Chucks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mick

I've been thinking about getting a collet chuck for my Jet mini lately and the recent post has me thinking even harder.....I've not really paid much attention to previous posts so y'all humor me and assume I know NOTHING about collet chucks. What do I need to get started supposing I was using it primarily to hold my mandrel and drill blanks, if thats possible?
Thanks Guys

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Mike, a collet chuck can only hold blanks for drilling if they are 3/4" cylinders or smaller and then it would require a Beall. I've yet to chuck a traditional mandrel in mine, but I use it for everything else... holding shell casings for drilling; bottle stopper, pin and other such mandrels; and anything else that lends itself to the characteristics of being small, round and needs to be spun.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
You can only drill a 3/4 round blank if the Collet chuck is a Beall, The others have a smaller capacity.
In a pinch I have used the Beall for a 1/4" mandrel because I have run out of mandrels/adaptors.I don't find any difference in its' performance compared to a standard set up.
One feature that is niice about it is when making a closed end pen, at some point I turn off the end that is riding on the live center.
There is no need for a draw bar and the threaded chuck holds the mandrel in place.

woodmarc

I just asked the same basic question not more that a couple of weeks ago. Look for the thread "I've Had It"
I purchased the beal because I had major issues with the standard setup. IMHO it was worth the price. Ive turned about a dozen or so pens, chucking up the standard and "B" mandrels. I have also used for my "Dowel" bottle stoppers and a few other things and absolutly recomment getting it. Turning closed end pens, it's a dream come true.

As for where... I've lost the link, but one of our IAP memebers sells the chuck and collets and a significant savings over CSUSA or WoodCraft. I ordered the ER32 collet set from 800Watt on ebay. I probably saved about 40% off of retail, or more.

The only gripe about the chuck is that it is a little difficult to get in close to the chuck itself, But I can live with that.

So if your ready, DO IT!
"Just my opinion, I could be wrong" Dennis Miller

gerryr

Charles(Tangboy5000) sells the Beall collet chuck and has the best price around for it.
http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WC&Product_Code=BEALLCCKIT&Category_Code=GRBU
I bought only the chuck from him and bought the ER-32 collets from ENCO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom