Collet Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

themartaman

Received my new collet chuck and pen blank sizing and cutting jig today. Cutting jig is well made and should eliminate some trimming. Collet chuck uses ER32 collets. It also is very well made and in a plastic storage box. First project will be small tops using collet chuck.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bellsy

You can also get the additional ER32 collets as a set (18 pcs.) from an Ebay member named 800watt. I now have this set and it is a must have set. He only has the metric set listed in his auctions, but if you contact him, he also offers the imperial set.

randyrls

You can also get the additional ER32 collets as a set (18 pcs.) from an Ebay member named 800watt. I now have this set and it is a must have set. He only has the metric set listed in his auctions, but if you contact him, he also offers the imperial set.

800watt offers great prices, but I would offer the following comments.

You will not get any emails from him...

Emails you send to him will not be answered.....

If you have a problem, you only option is to open a dispute resolution with Paypal or your credit card company.....

To be honest, I believe he is reputable.

Edit added Later: I had a collet set on order with 800watt. Arrived today 8 days after ordering, in good condition well packed.

Last edited:

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Larry, I think you will be very happy with the PSI collet chuck set. I have it and a Beall collet chuck and both are very well made. Hopefully with it you can make and sell enough pens to afford a shirt! :wink::biggrin::wink:

Randy_

To expand a little upon what Randy said..........

1. 800watt did reply to an email I sent him one time.....not a dispute; but rather a question about a product he was selling. I have also had emails go unanswered which is pretty much the norm.

2. Sometimes his shipping can take as much as 30 days and some folks who were lacking patience filed disputes with either PP or their CC company. (My order came in about a week.)

3. I have "NEVER" seen a post where anyone got stiffed by 800watt (i.e. lost money).

4. And I don't recall ever seeing a post where a customer was dissatisfied with the quality of his products.

stolicky

I can say that I recently (`2 weeks ago) order the Beall collet chuck from CSUSA, and the 18 piece ER32 metric collect set from 800watt. I think it was a Tuesday or Wednesday I ordered both - got the chuck by the weekend and the collets on Monday.

I did some research (on this site) on whether to get the metric or imperial, and I discovered that it really doesn't matter. I was originally stuck on the imperial, but either set pretty much covers the entire range. You end up using which ever collet is the best fit for the job. For example, you round a blank before you stick it into the chuck, because you want to drill it out on the lathe. All you do is round it and then grab whichever collet size is the closest. Don't worry about the numbers that happen to be stamped on it. My recommendation is to simply get whichever one is cheaper at the time.

stolicky

Sorry, one more thing.

If you go this route, get the full 18 piece set. Don't skimp and get a smaller set. I guarantee you will end up need a collet you don't have! : )

RichB

I just ordered the same thing 2 wks ago. The PSI set and the 800watt set in metric. I want to do cartridges with bullets and the PSI set would not work without a sleeve made for them so I got the metric set and everything fits. My orders came with in the week for both sets.

KenV

If you get the PSI knock off of the Beall collet chuck, which is a knock off of metal working tooling, it comes with several collets. You will want a 5/16 chuck to hold the "B" sized mandrel for sure.

1/2 inch and 3/4 inch plastic pipe from the home depot or similar allows you to make all kinds of insert mandrels (sub collets, and split sleeve friction holding adapters)-- and yes, a square piece of wood can be mounted in a collet chuck, but does not have the ability to hold as well as a round piece. -- think light cuts and avoidance of catches along with use of a tailstock.

the full range collet sets make a huge advantage if you move to metals, and especially smaller sizes. Collet technology is old stuff going back to the WW watch makers systems of the 1800s that are still running for many yet today.

themartaman

Thanks for all the comments. I tried it last night and turned a couple of spin tops for 2 kids. Worked great. Will get the collets form 800. No rush as long as they do show up. As to the shirt comment. It would spoil the ambiance. Not to mention when you get to 67 you can pretty much do what you want and nobody cares. Guess I forgot to put in my ear ring in that shot. LOL

Randy_

.....I did some research (on this site) on whether to get the metric or imperial, and I discovered that it really doesn't matter. I was originally stuck on the imperial, but either set pretty much covers the entire range......

Sorry to disagree; but if you look carefully at the collet sizes and their grip ranges, you will discover that the Imperial set has a few gaps in the grip range. Only a few and at very oddball sizes; but if you want complete and uninterrupted grip range from smallest to largest, be sure to get the metric set.

You may rarely or never run into a situation where the Imperial grip range will not hold the particular piece you are working on....and you could always use a piece of tape to get around the problem.......but for a few extra dollars, I would prefer to avoid the inconvenience unless there is a big different in the price of the two sets which, usually, there is not.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Thanks for all the comments. I tried it last night and turned a couple of spin tops for 2 kids. Worked great. Will get the collets form 800. No rush as long as they do show up. As to the shirt comment. It would spoil the ambiance. Not to mention when you get to 67 you can pretty much do what you want and nobody cares. Guess I forgot to put in my ear ring in that shot. LOL

LOL!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Top Bottom