collapsing twist mechanisms 7mm slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dduffett

Been making pens for about a year--(maybe 200 total count so far). Just in the last two weeks the twist mechanisms started collapsing on me when pressing them in. Using CA glue--cleaning with pen mill, tubes seem a little tight on the mandrel (already one problem to note). Tips and caps go in fine but the twist mechanism won't slide in and does an acordian on me. Problem is so bad it even bent the swivels on the pen press. Any suggestions or similar experiences and solutions? Would appreciate anything. thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Most likely it is glue in the tubes. Do you use anything to plug the ends of the tubes while you're gluing them? AZ Silhouette sells some stuff called Baseplate Wax which is really easy to use and pretty cheap to buy also.

Fangar

There was an issue for a time where the ID of the tubes and OD of the transmission where mispatched ever so slightly. The transmissions should press right in smoothly. If they don't you either have a CA issue as mentioned, or there is a fit issue. I have ahd this isse in the past on Casing pens as the brass primer face where the transmission must first pass through does not expand at all like wood or plastic does. It took me a few runined transmissions to figure out my holes were too small. Anyway, someone else might chime in about the smaller ID tubes (Or larger OD transmissions).

Cheers,

Fangar

wayneis

The other problem cound be with your barrel trimmer. Sometimes when you use them they create ridges inside the tubes from chewing them up. I prefer sanding them square on my disk sander. Most probably it is ca glue build-up and you should get some epoxy and change over to that.

Wayne

Fangar

That is a good point that I forgot about. I always use the Chamfer tool that allows the ridge that often forms to be beveled out.

Fangar

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I ream the tube out also. I also found the I have fewer problems pressing in the transmission if I make sure the mechanism is all the way retracted. If you don't see the mechanisk at the tip they seem to compress more, Hope this is clear.

Draken

Now I understand what Gerryr was tying to tell me when I posted about this topic a while back. Thanks everyone for putting it into terms that made it through this thick head of mine... [:I]

Cheers,
Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom