Cold weather cracks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

We packed up from a show late last night, loaded up and headed to the next show this morning. The pen inventory sat out is the back of the Suburban all night 10:00 pm to 8 am, the temp got down to 9 degrees. We didn't notice any cracks when we took pens out of cases, but they may have been. Now there are 15 or so pens with serious cracks; three pink ivory, a couple brown mallee, one each of ambroyna burl, bois du rose, afzylia, even a couple deer antler and a few more. Mostly the cracked pens are Jr Statesmen, Jr. Gents, and Barons (just 2-3 $M worth; can you hear my teeth gnashing?) Some of them are 6 months or more old, some less than a month. The snakewood didn't crack. None of the segmented pens cracked, the resin is intact and doing well.

Does the cold cause cracking? Warming them up too fast in warm convention center this morning? Any ideas about what caused it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

Yes, cold can do that to a pen. Wood swells and shrinks with heat and cold - at different rates than other pen components. Swings of temperature (and humidity) can crack it. In addition, some woods move more and are more susceptable. I left a katalox cigar pen in my pickup overnight in the winter once, and discovered huge cracks (the brass was visible) where the wood had shrunk.

You have my sympathy, and my condolences.

Regards,
Eric

Chasper

Yes, cold can do that to a pen. Wood swells and shrinks with heat and cold - at different rates than other pen components. Swings of temperature (and humidity) can crack it. In addition, some woods move more and are more susceptable. I left a katalox cigar pen in my pickup overnight in the winter once, and discovered huge cracks (the brass was visible) where the wood had shrunk.

Eric,
One of the cracked pens was one of your split 30.06 out of deer antler. I made two of them, but only one cracked.
Also I got an order today for two split 30.06, nickle powder coating, bottom half with antler and top half with rattlesnake. I'm hoping that the tendons don't get into the snakeskin. The splits and the full cartridge with bullet are selling really well.
Gerry

JimB

Sorry to hear about that. I know many members here, when giving Care Instructions to their customers tell them not to leave them in their cars in extreme heat or cold.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Some woods do a good job of hiding cracks if done right. Disassemble the pen and sand lightly down through any wax layers and a layer or two of the finish. Re-apply finish building up two or three good coats and go through the normal steps of fine finish.

This is where the mandrel-less method becomes very handy - as it makes for quick on and off the lathe for close up inspection and back on the lathe for more adjustment to the finish.

Some woods will continue to show cracks but for others such as snakewood and ebonies, they never show minor cracks fixed as mentioned above. Worth a try.

Another note: the cracks more than likely were due to miniscule moisture inherent in the wood. When frozen, moisture expands as ice crystals every bit as much as caused by humidity changes but with a lot more force.

Last edited:
Top Bottom