Cold start question?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

I do most of my turning at night when the kids are sleeping. I have a HF full size lathe (a Jet/Delta copy). It has been good to me but lately when I start the lathe it starts very irregularly like "WaaWaaWaaWaaWaa". It does this for a few minutes then comes up to normal operating speed and consistency.
Any of you engineer types know what is going on?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

My variable speed, belt drive, Grizzly was getting noisy too. Then it started slipping and I couldn't turn at all. Replaced the belt (that's a long story in itself), now is quiet and works smoothly. Old belt was noticiably stretched and worn.

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />I do most of my turning at night when the kids are sleeping. I have a HF full size lathe (a Jet/Delta copy). It has been good to me but lately when I start the lathe it starts very irregularly like "WaaWaaWaaWaaWaa". It does this for a few minutes then comes up to normal operating speed and consistency.
Any of you engineer types know what is going on?

jwoodwright

Cold could also affect it. Does that drive need periodic lube like my Delta 12" DP [?]

The other is the belt, the expanding pulley sides arn't nice, it gets squeezed up and down as you change speed...[8D]

fhinde

Shane, If it does it every time even after it is warm it just may be the starting capacitor on the motor or another problem in the starting circuit.

woodscavenger

I think fhinde may have it. I have a good belt on there. I called HF and since I bought the replacement plan I will take it down there next week and swap it out. Good service so far. I actually bought a Jet Mini VS today so the HF lathe will likely stay in the box when I bring it back. They won't refund my money, only replace the old unit. Anybody near Winston Salem NC looking for a good little lathe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom