Coffee Grinds!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

U-Turn

I tried my first Coffee Bean Blank and it was a disaster - very sharp tools and very careful turning However, got about 80% done and it exploded. I am pretty good at repairning blanks but no way on this one. Anyone have any suggestions (dont tell me not to turn on Friday the 13th:)).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LanceD

You'd probably get more replies if you'd post your question in the Penturning category instead of Marketing and Shows.

DurocShark

Coffee bean blanks are one of the places I use Gorilla glue instead of epoxy. The expanding glue seems to help protect me from myself.

workinforwood

Those are always a challenge. That's why I use coffee grounds in my coffee blanks instead of the beans. Makes for a much easier blank to spin and the effect can be equal since it includes a real coffee cup with real coffee in it, so nobody questions what it is!

Dave Turner

I used a carbide tipped tool (EasyRougher) with a light touch and only had minimal chipout on a few beans that I could easily repair with CA and coffee grounds. I did coat the blank with thin CA when I was getting close to my final size.

Attachments

• Coffee bean and black palm.jpg
    Coffee bean and black palm.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 99

MartinPens

I turn them thick, apply thin CA, then use sandpaper to get it down to bushing dimensions. If the CA doesn't penetrate - then sand it down some and then put more thin CA on.

Also, in the beginning, after drilling the hole - soak the inside with thin CA. After drying use a piece of sandpaper in the drilled out hole to get rid of any CA that might prevent the tube from inserting. A combo of this should do you right. My next one will first be stabilized. Some blanks are cast and then stabilized by certain sellers, but I don't remember who.

Good luck

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Top Bottom