Coffee Bean stabilizing-How Long to soak?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tim'sTurnings

I am going to try and cast some coffee beans in some PR to make pen blanks. I read that the beans will stay solid when turning if you stabilize them first. I have some soaking in MinWax Wood Hardener.
Does anyone know how long I should soak them?

Any replies would be appreciated. (I posted this in the Casting Forum as well)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

My mind says a vaccuum would draw the wood hardener stuff into a bean...but I have gotten roun the that on the 'tuit' list yet.

Why not just cast them into the PR(or whatever) and then turn 'em? Dribble some thinCA on them during the turn....

Scott (or maybe not) B

markspens

I cast these in Alumilite over the weekend and used a pressure pot. No pre-treating of the beans at all. A little ca as I turned them.

Attachments

• 6cb.jpg
    6cb.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 355

Tim'sTurnings

I soaked them for about 4 hours in wood hardener. I applied a little vacuum for about a half hour. I don't want it to be necessary to dribble or apply multiple coats of CA. The fumes give me a headache and I do not want to wear a mask as I do not use CA as a finish and I didn't want my shop to smell like CA. That is why I was trying to stabilize and solidify the beans. I may post a pic if I ever get around to casting them. I am waiting for much warmer weather to do any casting.
Thanks for the replies.
Tim.

Jim Burr

Banned
Coffee beans are best done in Alumilite under pressure. Have done (with assistance) about 70 and they all come out the same. PR is way to chippy and volatile even after it's rounded. The last thing you need is two unstable things in a casting!!
One important tip is to use very dry beans...lose the oily ones..nothing sticks to them and stability is out the door! Remember to that PR shrinks and can leave an airspace around the bean...again, unstable. Have a lash at it!!

Tim'sTurnings

I don't have any trouble turning PR. I don't have any experience with Alumilite and am comfortable with PR. I am going to cast them under pressure when I get around to it and see how it comes out.

aweiss44

i did some recently, didnt bother to treat the beans. removed the oil from the beans by a quick soak in acetone. let dry, then cast in alumilite and thin ca as I turned. no problems if you go slow.

Top Bottom