coffee bean

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I ma having difficulty turning the coffee bean blanks from Woodcraft. The blanks keep on breaking on me. I sharpen my tools several times while turning the blank down. Any help will be appreciated as these blanks are expensive.

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgibb42

I just finished turning one of these blanks this past week. I found that I had to use an EXTREMELY sharp skew and turn at the highest speed my lathe will go, 3900 RPM. I turned an upper barrel first, and experienced some chipping out of the beans. When I turned the lower barrel, I soaked the blank in thin CA after every few passes with the skew, and this technique greatly improved the results.

After I sanded the blanks, I wiped them down with a little CA accelerator to help clean off the brown streaking from the sanding process. If you're good with a skew, you can probably avoid this. I'm not. Finished with a CA finish.

traderdon55

After you drill the blanks soak the inside of them with thin Ca before you glue them to the tubes. Turn them with a sharp skew and soak the outside of them with thin CA several times while turning them. I have never bought the Woodcraft blanks ,but this is what I do on the ones I have cast myself.

Top Bottom