coconut blank from berea hardwoods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sigge

These blanks come together with a kit. On their web site it can be read:

"The parts of each kit have been modified from the original kits to accept the special shell and coconut blanks. Each kit comes complete with the blanks. The appropriate tube is already embedded into the material so all you have to do trim the blank to the length of the tube (using a pen mill or disk sander), mount the blank on the appropriate mandrel with the correct bushings and turn."

Can someone explain this to me? Someone had experience with this? Is it impossible to take the blank and use it with a "normal kit" bought from somewhere else? I cant really understand what they mean.

anyone?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
The coconut is glued around a tube for a specific type of pen kit, ie Sierra, Baron etc, and thus cannot be use with a slim, European etc.

sigge

Ok i see but I shpuld be able to use the blank with any other pen kit which uses the same tube right? Like if I buy a Sierra kit i like better from somewhere else?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The coconut is best used with a kit that gives you a large amount of material remaining, after it is turned.

The sierra VISTA is the kit I have seen used most often- it leaves over a millimeter of material, after being turned. If you have less material left, you MAY hit the coconut and ruin your attempted pen.

Hope this helps.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
You can change for a different plating of the same kit. If it's a Sierra, I'd stay with another Sierra, if a Sierra Vista, stay with another Sierra vista.

sigge

Ok so it can be used with another kit than they supply it with.. Does anyone know if it is only Berea that supplies these blank/kits or are there also other suppliers?

broitblat

Ok so it can be used with another kit than they supply it with.. Does anyone know if it is only Berea that supplies these blank/kits or are there also other suppliers?

I believe the blanks and supplied kits are *not* compatible with "normal" kits. The tube sizes are the same, but the size of the components are a little larger to leave more material on the tube after you turn it down to size. The Sierra version is compatible with a Sierra Vista. The Baron, El Grande, etc. are all special versions of those kits.

You can try to use a normal version of the kit, but you are likely to not have enough shell/resin left.

I have not seen the coconut blanks from anyone but Berea and their resellers.

-Barry

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
You have gotten some good info. Yes, the blanks are drilled and cut for a specific tube. For example the tropical Barons are not compatible with a "regular" Baron. If you decide to try one, drop me a line. I accidentally bought the bushings for a tropical baron a while back. I have no use for them so let me know if you want them.

Top Bottom