Cocobolo Color Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gmreeves

I've got a question. I am fairly new to this and a lot fo the cocobolo turn starts out with a nice dark color with some nice orange to it but once turned, the orange turns almost a purple color. Is that because I am losing a lot of the natural oils in the wood during the turning process? I had a beautiful bowl blank of cocobolo that I attempted to turn a turkey call out of. Once turned, it lost all of it's color. I set it aside for a few days, now weeks, and it is great looking with no purpleish color only the nice orange and brown coco characteristics. What's the deal?

Russianwolf

Welcome to the world of woods.

Yep, Cocobolo with usually be kinda ugly when freshed turned and as it ages will go through several different hues until it winds up almost black. UV light tends to accelerate the effect.

Cherry is another wood that darkens with age and uv light exposure, Purpleheart another.

lazyguy

I have found that when turning cocobolo that first hit of CA draws/drives the oil to the surface and makes a "stain" which can give a desirable affect. Kinda like clouds of red over purple surface. I think my next cocobolo I will let rest a day to get a more even distribution of oil color.

Top Bottom