cocobola question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

I bought some to make pen blands out of, beautiful orange figure, but when I rippped it found it was much darker and duller. I assume it's simialr to purpleheart, in that the color will return eventually, due to oxidation or light exposure. My question is, how long does this take? Do you wait for the color change before applying the finish, or will it change after being finished? Thanks,

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tea Clipper

You're right, it is the oil in the wood that oxidizes, causing the wood to turn orange/rust color. Sometimes I like the non-orange freshly cut color which tends to be purpleish, so I'll seal the wood with sanding sealer to lock that in. Otherwise, I usually only get a chance to work on pens on the weekends, so I can turn the barrels down on one weekend, and then leave them exposed until the next weekend where they are a nice orange color. So, I'd say a week would do it. Once sealed and finished, I don't notice any further color changes (although all wood will darken over time).

Rifleman1776

You aren't going to "lock in" any color. All woods are natural products that will do what they are going to do. I suggest you turn your pen and let nature take it's course. Sometimes, the use of UV inhibitors will slow the process but even those break down with time and color change will happen. If you ever discover a way to stop natures process, let me know. I would love to be able to preserve the beautiful bright yellow/orange color of freshly cut Osage Orange.

Top Bottom