Cobalt Gold ????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RDH79

I see WoodCrafters has a plating called Cobalt Gold. Anyone know where this falls in the durability line. Or is this just a fancy way to say 24K?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

"Cobalt gold" is another term for 10K gold. Visually, most people can't distinguish between 10K and 24K. It's tougher than 24K, but not as tough as T/N or Rhodium.

ldb2000

Sorry but cobalt gold is not 10K or at least that's not all that cobalt gold can be . You can have 24K cobalt , 18K cobalt , 14K cobalt or 10K cobalt gold . Cobalt is a metallic element added in small quantities to gold to create a harder plating . Gold with cobalt added to the solution is also known as Hardened Gold . It is normally added in less then .3% , which allows the Gold content to still be called by it nominal K rating , thus 24K hardened gold is 99.7% pure gold .3% cobalt content .
As far as durability the cobalt does increase it's durability but depending on the K rating it is only marginally more durable . Hardened Gold plating is used extensivly in the jewelry industry to improve the durability of plated items .

RDH79

Sorry but cobalt gold is not 10K or at least that's not all that cobalt gold can be . You can have 24K cobalt , 18K cobalt , 14K cobalt or 10K cobalt gold . Cobalt is a metallic element added in small quantities to gold to create a harder plating . Gold with cobalt added to the solution is also known as Hardened Gold . It is normally added in less then .3% , which allows the Gold content to still be called by it nominal K rating , thus 24K hardened gold is 99.7% pure gold .3% cobalt content .
As far as durability the cobalt does increase it's durability but depending on the K rating it is only marginally more durable . Hardened Gold plating is used extensivly in the jewelry industry to improve the durability of plated items .

So since they dont list the K rating then we dont know if its 24K or what?? But I would guess its 24K. And the price was $3.50 on sale for $2.80 for slims. That would be about there price for 24K.

monophoto

Every field of interest has its own language and precisely-defined terms. A major source of confusion is that sometimes those same terms have broader meaning when used outside that field of specialization.

"These kits are generally offered as either 'cobalt gold' or '10k gold'."

These words appear on page 27 of "Turning Pens and Pencils" by Christensen and Burningham. And as you may know, Burningham is VP of marketing at CSUSA,. That leads me to believe that in the narrow world of pen kits, 'cobalt gold' and '10K' imply the same thing.

Dave_M

I thought the terms "Cobalt Gold" and "Upgraded Gold" meant the same thing. Every Upgraded Gold description I've read states Cobalt or Palladium are added to the plating chemicals to increase the durability. To what degree it increases durability I have no clue. I always use Ti Gold.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Ask

Call woodcrafters and ask...if they don't already know for sure they can find out from their supplier.

Titanium gold is kind of a misnomer....it contains "a little" gold according to my supplier, it is mostly titanium Nitride.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Call woodcrafters and ask...if they don't already know for sure they can find out from their supplier.

Titanium gold is kind of a misnomer....it contains "a little" gold according to my supplier, it is mostly titanium Nitride.

Dontcha LOVE talking with these suppliers???
IF TiGold contains "a little" gold, do the other "gold" platings include gold in copious quantities??? Let's see, at $1300 an OUNCE, spose each pen has 18 or 19 atoms??? THAT'S a LOT??????????????????????????????:eek::eek:

Not meant to pick on you, Smitty---this is MY reflection on many conversations I have had with "suppliers"!!:biggrin::biggrin:

ldb2000

The carat rating (or purity) of gold has nothing to do with with addition of cobalt . 24K gold is pure gold (defined as gold content between 99.7 to 100 % gold) the other carat ratings are defined by how much other metals are added to the gold solution . Cobalt is normally added to 24K gold for the purpose of hardening the gold plate and is not normally used in any of the gold alloys since the alloying metals impart a hardening of the gold on their own . Gold plating uses the same terminology for jewelry or decoritive gold plating .
Rather then going in to a lengthy dissertation on "Carat or K" rating see this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_alloys

redfishsc

If you sell your pens, you'll find in the long run that a titanium nitride ("Ti-gold) will end up being cheaper if you value your time.

I don't sell anything, personally, that's actual gold plating, unless I have no other choice. I actually don't make and sell any kit that won't come in ti gold (or black ti, chrome, or rhodium--- the more durable finishes). Once in a while, a customer finds something online that they MUST have, like a copper plating. So I please my patron and make the pen just how they want it, but I do not guarantee the plating, in that case.

It is my personal duty as the pen-crafter to provide the best combination of durability and looks. Nobody I've ever met would know (nor care) the difference between ti-gold and 10K/24K plating. In fact, when I tell my customers that it's plated with titanium nitride, I get very positive responses.

In the end, my pens don't get returned to me worn out with exposed substrate metal. I have never had that happen-- not once. I have, a few times, had some rhodium and ti gold that pitted/corroded some, but the supplier backed up their promises.

Top Bottom