Cob Turning Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregD

Well, I managed to sucessfully turn my 1st cob pen. However, there are small chipouts at the ends of each cob. How do you keep this from happening???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Doghouse

before you start turning soak the ends with ca.
VERY LIGHT cuts as you approach the finished size
Sometimes I will even turn into the end not into the bushing to prevent tearout

its_virgil

(1) Saturate the cob in thin CA after turning away the red fuZzy stuff. Be sure to get the ends but don't glue your bushings to the mandrel. I saturate the ends of both blanks with CA prior to placing on the mandrel.

(2) turn from the middle of each blank towards the ends. I get less chip-outs this way that starting at the ends and tgurning towards the middle.

(3) Light cuts and sharp tools.

(4) Find the speed that gives the best results...may change from cob to cob.

(5) practice and patience and practice. don't glue in the tubes so if the cob blows a new cob can be done without parting off the old cob. Tubes do not need to be glued in to turn a pen. The tubes can be glued after turning. Really they can, try it. I do a lot of turning first and gluing next.

do a good turn daily! and good luck.
Don

Originally posted by GregD
<br />Well, I managed to sucessfully turn my 1st cob pen. However, there are small chipouts at the ends of each cob. How do you keep this from happening???

JimGo

Interesting Don! I'd be curious to see how that works; does the wood spin because of the friction from the bushings then? Do you use that technique on wood too? And if so, does it work with really thin pieces, like those on slimlines?

its_virgil

I guess the friction from the bushings hold the wood. It does work and works nicely. I started doing this with ebony...drill, insert the tube and turn leaving the wood proud of the bushings by about 1/16 or so. Remove the tubes and put the ebony on the shelf for a couple of weeks and check. It the holes get smaller I ream them out and put back on the shelf and keep doing this until the hole stops shrinking which means the ebony is dry. Glue in the tubes, finish turning, and assemble the pen. Less cracking ebonyu this way.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Interesting Don! I'd be curious to see how that works; does the wood spin because of the friction from the bushings then? Do you use that technique on wood too? And if so, does it work with really thin pieces, like those on slimlines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom